Published May 24th, 2026 - 07:46 GMT
Highlights
One of the primary targets was the Artem defense factory in central Kyiv, a key military-industrial facility involved in missile component production.
ALBAWABA- Russian forces launched one of the largest combined missile and drone attacks on the Ukrainian capital overnight into Saturday, targeting military-industrial facilities and causing widespread damage across several districts of Kyiv, Ukrainian officials said.The large-scale assault involved cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, drones, and advanced hypersonic weapons, including the Kh-47M2 Kinzhal and 3M22 Zircon systems. Ukrainian authorities also reported the possible use of the Oreshnik intermediate-range ballistic missile.One of the primary targets was the Artem defense factory in central Kyiv, a key military-industrial facility involved in missile component production. Explosions near the site caused heavy collateral damage around the Lukianivska Metro Station, where blast waves damaged station entrances, surrounding buildings, and nearby infrastructure.Residential neighborhoods in the Lukyanivka and Shevchenkivskyi districts were also affected by debris and shockwaves from the strikes.According to Ukrainian officials, air defense systems intercepted the majority of the incoming barrage, reportedly downing more than 600 drones and approximately 90 missiles. However, several projectiles penetrated the defenses, damaging homes, schools, and civilian infrastructure across the city.At least 2 people killed and 23 injured – this is Russia’s response to peace efforts and its attempts to end the war.On May 24, Russia launched one of the largest attacks on Kyiv, using around 600 drones, dozens of ballistic, air-launched ballistic, and cruise missiles, as well… pic.twitter.com/KJTXv4CKl9— UKR Embassy to Ireland (@UKRinIRL) May 24, 2026 Authorities said at least one person was killed and 24 others injured in Kyiv. Emergency crews continued rescue and recovery operations as thick smoke rose above several parts of the capital.The Lukianivska metro station, which has frequently served as a civilian shelter during attacks, sustained structural damage, though officials said no direct strike on civilians sheltering inside had been confirmed in the latest reports.Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has strongly condemned Russia’s latest missile and drone strikes on Kyiv, describing the attack as part of Moscow’s ongoing assault on civilian infrastructure during the war in Ukraine.In a post on X, Carney said: “Canada strongly condemns Russia’s launch of large-scale missile and drone attacks on civilian targets in Kyiv tonight. For more than four years since Russia’s illegal invasion, it has greatly underestimated the courage, determination, and strength of the Ukrainian people, even as Putin’s regime has relentlessly bombed Ukrainian energy infrastructure, schools, hospitals, and homes. We call on Russia to immediately cease these strikes and end this illegal war of aggression. They prolong human suffering and do nothing to change the fact that Russia will lose this war. Canada will continue working closely with international partners to secure a just and lasting peace for Ukraine and Europe.”The attack followed recent Ukrainian drone strikes on Russian targets and came amid stalled diplomatic efforts to end the conflict. Yhe barrage reflected Moscow’s continuing strategy of overwhelming Ukrainian air defenses while targeting defense production facilities and critical infrastructure.Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned the strikes and renewed calls for stronger international pressure on Russia.












