ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday expressed the hope that Pakistan would host the next round of Islamabad Talks between Iran and the United States “very soon, following US President Donald Trump announced that that the agreement had been “largely negotiated.”Trump held a telephone call with world leaders including those of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkiye, Egypt, the UAE, Bahrain, Jordan and Pakistan to discuss the matters related to Iran and a Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to peace.Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, who concluded his “short but highly productive” visit to Tehran on Saturday, represented Pakistan in the telephone call, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said on his X timeline, and that he greatly appreciated his tireless efforts during the entire process. He congratulated President Donald Trump on his “extraordinary” efforts to pursue peace and for holding a “very useful and productive” telephone call earlier on Sunday with the world leaders.The prime minister said that the discussions provided a useful opportunity to exchange views on the current regional situation and how to move the ongoing peace efforts forward to bring lasting peace in the region.“Pakistan will continue its peace efforts with utmost sincerity and we hope to host the next round of talks very soon,” Prime Minister Shehbaz said.Earlier, in a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump referring his to his telephone call with world leaders, announced that an agreement has been “largely negotiated”, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other countries, as listed.“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly. In addition to many other elements of the agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” he added.“Encouraging Progress” during Field Marshal’s Iran visit: ISPRThe development follows the visit of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir to Iran which paved the way for a potential breakthrough between Iran and the United States.On Saturday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also indicated that a deal with Iran to end the Middle East war could be nearing, stating there is a chance Iran may accept an agreement “as soon as Saturday” and adding, “There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say.”Rubio also expressed hope for “good news,” signaling visible diplomatic progress.During the Field Marshal’s “short but highly productive” official visit to Iran, the discussions focused on expediting ongoing mediation efforts to promote de-escalation and achieve a conclusive agreement amid regional tensions that persisted after the ceasefire on April 8, 2026.The Field Marshal held productive meetings with Iranian President Dr. Masoud Pezeshkian, Speaker of the Iranian Parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.According to an ISPR press release, “The intensive negotiations over resulted in encouraging progress towards a final understanding. The Iranian leadership appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful settlement of regional issues.”Moving closer to MoU: IranIranian Foreign Ministry Spokesperson? Esmail Baqaei also said that Tehran and Washington have edged closer to finalizing a memorandum of understanding to end the war, according to Iran’s Fars news agency.Elaborating on a day-long visit by a Pakistani delegation, led by Field Marshal Asim Munir to Tehran, he said, “We are now in the finalization stage of this memorandum of understanding.” The topics being discussed at this stage focus broadly on ending the war, ending the naval blockade and issues related to the release of Iran’s assets.He added that the purpose of the Pakistani delegation’s visit was to continue the exchange of messages between Tehran and Washington.Baqaei emphasized that Iran’s focus at this stage remains exclusively on ending the war based on the Islamic Republic’s 14-point proposal, which has been shuttled back and forth several times.Asked whether Tehran and Washington have drawn closer to an accord, he said that after several weeks of dialogue between the two sides, the “process appears to be moving toward a convergence of views”.
PM Sharif hopes Pakistan to host next round of US-Iran talks 'very soon' as Trump says deal 'largely negotiated'
Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir concluded his “short but highly productive” visit to Tehran











