A gunman was shot and killed after opening fire outside the White House on Saturday evening, May 23, the US Secret Service confirmed, with the incident also leaving a bystander in ‘critical condition.’ According to an official statement from the United States Secret Service, the incident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, when an armed individual opened fire.“Shortly after 6 p.m Saturday an individual in the area of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing,” the agency said, without specifying who the gunfire was directed at.Secret Service Police immediately responded and returned fire, striking the suspect, who was taken to a hospital and later pronounced dead.The statement also added that a bystander was injured in the crossfire. “During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire. No injuries were sustained by officers.” The agency also confirmed that President Trump was in the White House during the incident; however, no protectees or operations were impacted. “This incident remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available,” the statement concluded.— SecretSvcSpox (@SecretSvcSpox) CNN reported, citing a law enforcement official, that the bystander is in critical condition following the incident.CBS News, citing sources, reported that between 15 and 30 gunshots were fired. The report suggested the suspect appeared to be acting alone and allegedly approached Secret Service agents and opened fire before agents returned fire.FBI Director Kash Patel stated on X that federal authorities are assisting at the scene, saying the bureau “is on the scene and supporting Secret Service responding to shots fired near White House grounds - we will update the public as we’re able.”— fbidirectorkash (@fbidirectorkash) ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Selina Wang shared video on X showing the moment shots were heard, with journalists and bystanders ducking for cover.— selinawangtv (@selinawangtv) The incident comes amid heightened attention on security concerns around political figures. A New York Post report alleged that Ivanka Trump had been identified as a potential target in an alleged assassination plot linked to Iran-backed actors, reportedly in retaliation for the 2020 killing of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani. The report named an Iraqi-Iranian dual national, Mohammad Baqer Saad Dawood Al-Saadi, as allegedly linked to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), and said he had issued threats online and obtained details of a Florida residence. Authorities have not indicated any connection between that report and Saturday’s shooting.This incident also comes after a separate shooting incident at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, in which a suspect allegedly breached a security checkpoint with a shotgun before being engaged by Secret Service personnel.