Trump says Iran deal may reopen Hormuz, but Tehran insists strait stays under its control

TEHRAN/WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated” and would include reopening the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz, but Tehran quickly pushed back Sunday, insisting the waterway would remain under Iranian management.

Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency said the latest exchanged text between Tehran and Washington did not transfer control of the strait and dismissed Trump’s announcement as “incomplete and inconsistent with reality.”

“An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries,” Trump wrote Saturday on his Truth Social platform.

“In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” he added.