Iran and Pakistan have submitted a revised proposal ‌to the United States ‌to end the war in the Middle East and ‌reopen the Strait ‌of Hormuz. Two Pakistani sources familiar ‌with the negotiations told ‌Reuters on ‌Saturday, local time, they expected a response to the proposal by Sunday.US President Donald Trump was expected to hold a phone call on Saturday with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the UAE, Egypt, Türkiye and Pakistan, an Arab official told Reuters.Donald Trump has been sent a revised peace proposal by Iran and Pakistan. (Reuters: Evelyn Hockstein)Mr Trump had told CBS News a decision on an earlier draft could be made by Sunday.He told the network the sides were "getting a lot closer" to a deal.It came after Pakistan's army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir, a key messenger between the US and Iran, visited Tehran to meet with Iranian leaders earlier in the week.A statement was made by a Pakistani security official briefed by Mr Munir on Saturday, stating a memorandum of understanding was being finetuned.Officials from Iran also confirmed the interim deal was close to being finalised.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio made a statement on Saturday, just as Mr Munir left Tehran after two days of talks with senior Iranian leaders."There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Mr Rubio said. Mr Trump told CBS he would only sign a deal "where we get everything we want".This involves a final agreement that prevents Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, and ensures Iran's enriched uranium would be "satisfactorily handled".The statement of a nearby deal was also backed by Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqhaei noted "a trend towards rapprochement" but said "it does not necessarily mean that we and the United States will reach an agreement on the important issues".Esmaeil Baghaei backed the idea of a nearby peace deal. (Foreign Correspondent: Matt Davis)"Our intention was first to draft a memorandum of understanding, a kind of framework agreement composed of 14 clauses," Mr Baqaei told state media. Support to end the warIran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that Tehran was engaged despite "repeated betrayals of diplomacy and military aggression against Iran, along with contradictory positions and repeated excessive demands" by Washington.Abbas Araghchi said Tehran was still engaged despite frustrations with the US. (Reuters: Pierre Albouy)The Islamic Republic News Agency reported Mr Araghchi also held a series of diplomatic calls with counterparts from Türkiye, Iraq, Qatar and Oman.US President Donald Trump spoke with the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani on Saturday.Mr Al Thani's office said he supported "all initiatives aimed at containing the crisis through dialogue and diplomacy".Iran warns US of excessive demandsIran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned earlier, Washington would face a tough response if it resumed hostilities.The warning comes after US media reports raised the prospect of new strikes and Iranian officials accusing the US of "excessive demands".Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran's top negotiator. (WANA via Reuters)"Our armed forces have rebuilt themselves during the ceasefire period in such a way that if Trump commits another act of folly and restarts the war, it will certainly be more crushing and bitter for the United States than on the first day of the war," Mr Ghalibaf posted on social media.Weeks of negotiations, including historic face-to-face talks hosted by Islamabad, have still not produced a permanent resolution or restored full access to the Strait of Hormuz, choking vast quantities of global oil supply.On Saturday, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Kolkata.The visit aimed at repairing bridges between the US and India, left damaged after Washington's tariffs and engagement with New Delhi's rivals, Pakistan and China.Prior to the trip Mr Rubio said the US wanted to sell energy to India, emphasising to Mr Modi that "US energy products have the potential to diversify India’s energy supply", according to a US summary of the meeting."The United States will not let Iran hold the global energy market hostage," Mr Rubio's office added. The energy crisis sparked by the Iran war has set back US efforts to wean India off Russian oil.