The mystery surrounding the deaths of five Italian divers inside a flooded Maldives cave may finally be solved when police release their final investigation report, rescue specialists who recovered the bodies have said.The group vanished while exploring the notorious Dhekunu Kandu cave system in the Vaavu Atoll earlier this month.Their bodies were later discovered 200ft deep inside the underwater cavern.Now Finnish rescue diver Sami Paakkarinen, part of the specialist Dan Europe recovery team sent to retrieve the victims, says evidence handed to police could help explain exactly what went wrong.Speaking to La Repubblica, Paakkarinen said investigators had been given extensive material gathered during the recovery mission and that authorities were now working to piece together the divers' final moments. 'Unfortunately, we can no longer speak to those divers and ask them why they went down there, so we can't know for sure what they were planning, why they went there,' he said.'We've handed over a lot of material to the police, which is now being investigated. When the police conduct their investigations, we believe their report will answer most of the remaining questions.'Paakkarinen also suggested 'tragic human error' may have contributed to the disaster and raised questions about the equipment used by the group. The mystery surrounding the deaths of five Italian divers inside a flooded Maldives cave may finally be solved when police release their final investigation report, rescue specialists who recovered the bodies have said The group vanished while exploring the notorious Dhekunu Kandu cave system in the Vaavu Atoll earlier this month. Pictured: A diver from Finland takes part in a recovery operation Their bodies were later discovered deep inside the underwater cavern Images published by Dan Europe show the narrow underwater passages where the divers' bodies were found, with light quickly fading into near-total darknessHe said the divers had not been using specialist underwater caving gear despite venturing into the challenging cave system.'The equipment we found them with wasn't optimal. They weren't using underwater caving gear,' he told the Italian newspaper.While he stressed it remained possible to complete dives to those depths using recreational equipment, he warned the combination of extreme depth and cave conditions would have left the group with very little margin for error.'So I'd say yes, they could have surfaced safely, but they were short on time,' he said.The expert diver said he and his team would never attempt such a dive without a guide rope or scuba diving reel. Four of the victims were found together in one section of the cave this week, while a fifth diver was discovered near the entrance days earlier. Paakkarinen described the cavern as 'deep and very challenging', revealing it initially took rescue teams 50 minutes to reach the site before they adjusted ropes and moved equipment.Dan Europe said in its final mission report: 'They may not have been able to find their way back to the exit.' It comes after the first photos from inside the doomed Maldives cave system where five Italian divers died were released by the team that recovered their bodies. The group of divers set off to explore deep-sea caverns in the Vaavu Atoll last Thursday, but never resurfaced. Sharing the pictures on Instagram, the diving organisation said: 'Natural light still filters through the entrance before the system descends into darkness'
Maldives divers mystery WILL be solved when police release report
The group vanished while exploring the notorious Dhekunu Kandu cave system in the Vaavu Atoll earlier this month.












