The tragedy happened early on May 13 after the emergency services were called out to reports of a woman seen struggling in the sea off the beach in Brighton, and ultimately led to three women being swept away from the shore18:22, 22 May 2026Updated 18:48, 22 May 2026The three sisters found dead on Brighton seafront suffered a previous similar family tragedy when their mum died after drowning, it has emerged.Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, died after being reported swept away from the shore at 5.45am last Wednesday.Relatives of the women, from Uxbridge, North West London, have reportedly said they had not known they were travelling to Brighton that morning, but had since reflected on whether they may have been marking the memory of their mother, who died by drowning in Birmingham, aged just 43.Janice suffered from stress-related mental health problems before disappearing from her home in the Birmingham suburb of Erdington in the early hours of the morning. Reports suggest the tragedy happened in January 2012, but family members have said it took place in 2010.It came as it was announced an inquest into their deaths will open at Brighton coroner's court next Friday, May 29, and fresh information emerged about the women's lives, including that Jane worked as an accountant, Christina had recently graduated from Brunel University and Rebecca was remembered as “the baby who was very mischievous” and “the lively one who was always cracking jokes”.READ MORE: Brighton victim was 'last to see mum' before tragic end in the water years agoREAD MORE: Brighton beach sisters' family tragedy as heartbroken aunt reveals mum died by drowningAt the time, it was reported Janice lived with with two daughters, aged 15 and 20, and had a third daughter, aged 16, who lived with her father in Bedfordshire. At the time, Janice’s brother, Lincoln Walters said he had not heard from his sister since New Year’s Day, while her mum, Cynthia Smith-Walters, told how she had not seen Janice since their Christmas Day dinner.Lincoln made an emotional plea for his sister to get in touch with the family at the time, telling his sister: “The girls are so upset and can’t stop thinking about you and for their sake we need you to make contact”. It was also reported Janice was last seen by one of her daughters at their home in the early hours of January 5, during a cold snap.Police are appealing for information to help them establish what happened to the three sisters. One line of inquiry is that the trio, who were reportedly found fully clothed, may have been paddling when they slipped off a shingle coastal shelf.Ajike Adetoro, the sisters’ aunt, told The Times: “We are not speculating, but the girls were totally happy in the weeks and months before it happened and it was totally unexpected.” She said the women were “the closest sisters and best friends who did everything together”, adding: “They were happy girls. They’d moved out of their dad’s house two years ago, but would message at least twice a day.”Sussex Police said there was no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality. Ms Adetoro said the sisters' family had been distressed by speculation surrounding the deaths, including that they were victims of a racist attack, a murder, or that they were clubbing shortly before their deaths.She added: "It is all wrong. These girls would not drink alcohol or smoke. They never went clubbing. They didn’t even have social media. They were their father’s world.”Emergency crews had raced to the beach accompanied by a helicopter and lifeboats following reports of a woman struggling in the sea. On Wednesday, after the sisters were finally formally identified seven days on, their dad Joseph released a statement declaring: “They filled our family with happiness and love.”In a statement issued via Sussex Police, he said: “No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives. They were more than daughters – they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.“Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful. Though your time on Earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.”Joseph added: “Losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared – the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond death can never take away.“Your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, prayers and memories.” Joseph also paid individual tributes to each of his girls, declaring they will be: “Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered.”He said: “Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went."Article continues belowEmergency crews had raced to the beach accompanied by a helicopter and lifeboats following reports of a woman struggling in the sea, but tragically they were unable to save the women.Police this week renewed appeals for information in the case, codenamed Operation Ledmore. They are interested in speaking to anyone who may have seen the three women in the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday May 12, and 5.30am on Wednesday May 13.Sussex Police said: “The investigation to understand how they came to be in the water is ongoing. “At this time there is no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality, but specialist detectives are working hard to gather the full facts.”
Sisters found dead in Brighton suffered tragedy when mum died of drowning
The tragedy happened early on May 13 after the emergency services were called out to reports of a woman seen struggling in the sea off the beach in Brighton, and ultimately led to three women being swept away from the shore













