The United States on Thursday announced it will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, boosting its military presence there as Washington reviews deployments elsewhere in Europe.
Issued on: 22/05/2026 - 13:06
2 min Reading time
The announcement came just two days after US Vice President JD Vance told reporters that a planned deployment to Poland had been delayed, and weeks after Washington announced it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany. President Donald Trump linked the deployment directly to his relationship with Polish leader Karol Nawrocki, a nationalist politician who took office in 2025. Trump met Nawrocki at the White House in September and raised the possibility of increasing the American troop presence in Poland. “Based on the successful election of the now president of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump wrote on Truth Social. Around 10,000 US troops are already stationed in Poland. Putin says army fighting 'aggressive' NATO-backed force in Victory Parade address Mixed signals The move comes as the Pentagon cuts troop deployments elsewhere in Europe. Earlier in the week, the US Department of Defense said it would reduce the number of US Army brigade combat teams in Europe from four to three. A broader review of military deployments is aimed at advancing Trump’s “America First" agenda in Europe, while encouraging NATO allies to take greater responsibility for Europe’s defence, Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said. Earlier in May, the US said it was withdrawing 5,000 troops from Germany during a dispute between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz. US to withdraw about 5,000 troops from Germany Backing from Warsaw The decision to increase troop numbers in Poland was quickly welcomed in Warsaw. “Friendship” with the US would remain a cornerstone of Poland’s security, Nawrocki wrote on X (formerly Twitter) as he thanked Trump for the move. “The security of Poland and of Polish citizens is my top priority," he added. Strong ties with Washington were also praised by Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz. “Polish-American relations are very strong,” Kosiniak-Kamysz wrote on X, calling Poland “a model and ironclad ally”. “It’s good that we fight together for the fundamental issues of our Homeland’s security. It is a duty that turns into effectiveness,” he added. NATO secretary-general Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement on Friday ahead of a meeting of alliance foreign ministers in Sweden, saying military commanders were “working through all the details”. (with newswires)










