US President Donald Trump has said that Washington would send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, weeks after the Pentagon halted a planned brigade deployment that had alarmed officials in Warsaw. Trump announced the move in a post on his Truth Social platform on Thursday, linking the decision to the election of Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he said he had been “proud to endorse.” JOIN US ON TELEGRAMFollow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official. Nawrocki, who is backed by Poland’s right-wing opposition Law and Justice party, won last year’s presidential election. The nationalist politician, who is aligned with Trump’s MAGA movement, visited the White House ahead of the May 2025 vote for talks with the US president.
𝗗𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹𝗱 𝗝. 𝗧𝗿𝘂𝗺𝗽 𝗧𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗵 𝗦𝗼𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝟱.𝟮𝟭.𝟮𝟲 𝟬𝟰:𝟮𝟲 𝗣𝗠 𝗘𝗦𝗧 pic.twitter.com/sgJqaEc2sM— Commentary Donald J. Trump Posts From Truth Social (@TrumpDailyPosts) May 21, 2026
The announcement comes amid growing uncertainty over the long-term US military posture in Europe. Last week, the Pentagon halted a planned deployment of around 4,000 troops to Poland in a move that caught Polish officials by surprise. Trump did not specify whether the newly announced contingent would replace those forces or represent a separate expansion of the US military presence in the country. US Vice President J.D. Vance said last Friday that the rotational deployment had been “delayed” and could instead be stationed elsewhere in Europe, adding that Poland was “capable of defending itself with a lot of support from the United States.”










