Updated May 22, 2026 — 4:37pm,first published 3:29pmBritish police are calling for more witnesses to step forward with information about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor as they assess claims of sexual misconduct, in a long investigation into his ties with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.Senior detectives confirmed they were considering the allegations of sexual misconduct after the extraordinary arrest of the former prince at his home in February.Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, pictured here at Windsor Castle last year.APIn one line of inquiry, the detectives are assessing claims that a woman was taken to the former prince’s home in Windsor in 2010 for sexual purposes, based on a statement to the BBC from a ‌lawyer for ⁠the alleged victim.But the woman involved has not reported the alleged offence to the police, highlighting a challenge for investigators in gathering the evidence they would need to charge Mountbatten-Windsor after months of inquiry.The Thames Valley Police, which is investigating the former prince, said some victims might be put off by the prospect of national and international attention if they testified.“In terms of Epstein victims and survivors, we hope that anyone with relevant information will come forward, and I really want to stress that our door is open whenever a victim-survivor is ready to engage with us,” Thames Valley Police Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said.“We’re ready for you at whatever point that may be.”King Charles’ younger brother was interviewed under caution for hours in February after being arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office at his home in Norfolk following the release of millions of documents by the US Department of Justice relating to Epstein.The investigation focused on Mountbatten-Windsor’s time as a trade envoy for the British government from 2001 to 2011 and concerns that he shared confidential information about trade deals and investment opportunities with Epstein.The arrest of the senior royal, eighth in line to the throne, was unprecedented in modern times.Mountbatten-Windsor, 66, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship. He has made no public statement since his arrest.Documents released by the US Justice Department showed that Mountbatten-Windsor sent confidential documents to Epstein, but the British police investigation also has access to UK government files, and interviews with government officials as well as other witnesses.The Thames Valley Police on Thursday (London time) emphasised that its investigation into misconduct in public office also meant assessing any claims of sexual misconduct.“The investigation is by necessity hugely thorough and will take time,” Wright said. “It’s not going to be a quick investigation by any means.“There’s a number of aspects of alleged misconduct that the investigation is examining. So we’re speaking with a range of witnesses.”Wright said police had received “a significant amount of information” from the public and other sources and the investigation would be incredibly complex.A specialist team of experienced officers is carrying out the investigation, which is being treated as a major crime, on a par with a murder inquiry. It is also liaising with the US Justice Department, but as yet has not received any of the Epstein documents.“That is ongoing, and it’s a fairly complex thing to do, but we’re working very hard on that,” Wright said.This undated photo released by the US Department of Justice shows Jeffrey Epstein (centre) with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and former UK ambassador to the US Peter Mandelson.APUS Justice Department documents included a photo of Mountbatten-Windsor on all fours over an unidentified woman lying on a floor, without any detail to explain the context. One email from August 2010 showed Epstein telling the prince, as he was at the time, that he had a friend who would like to have dinner in London.“She 26, russian, clevere beautiful, trustworthy,” Epstein wrote, with his customary spelling errors.On Thursday, the British government released confidential documents relating to Mountbatten-Windsor’s appointment as trade envoy that showed the late queen had pressed for him to get the role.However, King Charles, who stripped his sibling of his titles and honours last October, said at the time of Andrew’s arrest that he was deeply concerned about the news and authorities had the family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he said in a statement in February.“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”Thames Valley is not the only British police force looking into possible offences relating to information in the Epstein files.With ReutersGet a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.From our partners