May 22, 2026 — 2:46pmA Sydney high school teacher has been charged with 10 offences after police allegedly found a “significant” amount of child abuse material in his possession, including photos of a former student.Nathaniel Ballesta, 35, has been charged with three counts of possessing child abuse material, three counts of causing a child aged over 14 to make child abuse material, two counts of using a device to procure sexual activity from a child under 16, one count of producing child abuse material and one count of using a device to engage with sexual activity of a child.Police seized electronic devices allegedly spanning years of contact between Nathaniel Ballesta and a former student. NSW PoliceBallesta has been suspended from his role as an English teacher at John Edmondson High School in Horningsea Park in Sydney’s south-west.Automated systems built into cloud-based platforms flagged child abuse material with the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation, which referred the matter to the Sex Crimes Squad on Tuesday.Nathaniel Ballesta has been suspended from his role as an English teacher at John Edmondson High School.John Edmondson High SchoolOn Thursday, police executed a search warrant at a home in Bardia, seizing electronic devices allegedly containing child abuse material.Detectives allegedly uncovered online communication between the man and a teenage girl who, at one point, had been Ballesta’s student.Police have spoken to the alleged victim and safeguards have been put in place for her protection.Detective Acting Superintendent Adam Powderly said the quantity of abuse seized was “significant”. Police were investigating if there were any other victims or students involved, he said.“Further victims may be identified, and further charges are pending,” Powderly said on Friday.“As a parent, as a community member and experienced police officer, it’s very concerning when I see trusted members of our community like educators allegedly involved in offences like this.”Appearing via video link at Campbelltown Local Court on Friday, Ballesta did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.Strike Force Trawler is an ongoing investigation by the State Crime Command’s Sex Crimes Squad Child Exploitation Internet Unit into the sexual abuse and exploitation of children facilitated through the internet and related telecommunications devices.Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732)Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter. Amber Schultz is a crime and justice reporter with The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via X or email.Jack Gramenz is a breaking news reporter at The Sydney Morning Herald.Connect via email.From our partners