May 22, 2026 | 10:14 am
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Indonesian government has condemned what it described as violence and mistreatment by Israel against volunteers participating in the humanitarian mission of the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2.0.Hundreds of volunteers from various countries — including nine Indonesian citizens — were detained by Israeli forces while sailing from Cyprus through the Mediterranean Sea toward Gaza, Palestine.“Once again, the Indonesian government reaffirms its condemnation of the inhumane treatment experienced by the volunteers during their detention,” Foreign Minister Sugiono said in a video statement on Thursday, May 21, 2026.The Indonesian Foreign Ministry confirmed that the GSF volunteers have since been released following the interception of their vessels by the Israeli military earlier this week. On Thursday evening, the nine Indonesian nationals arrived in Istanbul, Turkey, for medical examinations and further procedures before returning to Indonesia.The Indonesian humanitarian group Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) said several delegates reported experiencing violence and degrading treatment while in detention. According to the organization, the alleged abuses included physical assault, the use of tasers and rubber bullets, humiliation, harassment, and being forced into painful body positions.Sugiono expressed hope that the Indonesian volunteers would return home safely and in good health.“Actions that degrade the dignity of civilians carrying out humanitarian missions constitute serious violations of international humanitarian law and cannot be tolerated,” he said.The minister also thanked Indonesian institutions and international partners involved in securing the release of the Indonesian citizens, while specifically expressing appreciation to the Turkish government for its assistance.Read: A Tempo Journalist Recounts Detention by Israeli ForcesClick here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News














