NewsWorld newsMeaslesA warning has been issued to holiday makers after an outbreak of measles in a popular Spanish tourist spot has been recorded, with eight cases of the contagious illness confirmed01:07, 22 May 2026Families travelling abroad have been issued an urgent warning following a measles outbreak in a Spanish tourist hotspot.The caution has been given as cases in Alcantarilla, Murcia have doubled since an outbreak was declared earlier this month.The region's ministry of health have confirmed eight cases of the contagious illness.By last Thursday, four cases were identified, with one being a baby.Four cases including three adults and a baby had been identified by last Thursday.Measles is considered one of the world's most contagious diseases. The condition is spread by coughs and sneezes and has a contagion rate of nearly 100 per cent.According to the European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (ECDC) it is a “serious disease that can lead to complications and even death”.The first case was confirmed in the Spanish region on May 5, according to authorities.Initially, in these cases, the time between symptoms and diagnosis took up to two weeks.Now, this has been reduced to four days after symptoms begin.Officials said four of the patients were infected after contact with another patient.There is no further information available about those affected.Authorities have been able to limit the spread of the disease by tracing the infection chain.Health minister, Juan Jose Pedreño, said control work carried out by the Epidemiology Service means the outbreak has not got “out of hand”.It was initially thought the spread came from a baptism celebration in Alcantarilla, but this has since been ruled out.Over 6,000 cases of measles were reported across Europe in the last year, with roughly a third of those in children under five.In the 12-month period between February last year and this January, six people died of the disease.Article continues belowThe previous year saw 7,655 cases with eight being fatal.According to the World Health Organization (WHO), children under five are particularly vulnerable to measles, which can cause pneumonia, meningitis, blindness and seizures if it spreads to other parts of the body.The best way to protect yourself and your children is to get a vaccination.Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.MeaslesSpain
Urgent holiday warning after measles outbreak at tourist hotspot
A warning has been issued to holiday makers after an outbreak of measles in a popular Spanish tourist spot has been recorded, with eight cases of the contagious illness confirmed








