NewsUK NewsEasyJetEasyJet CEO Kenton Jarvis has slammed the EU's new Entry/Exit System (EES), which left around 100 British passengers from the same flight stranded in Milan in April due to border delays17:05, 21 May 2026Updated 20:38, 21 May 2026The boss of easyJet has slammed the EU's new border system, which has seen dozens of British passengers miss their flights due to long border delays.‌Speaking about the EU’s new Entry/Exit System (EES), easyJet CEO Kenton Jarvis told ITV News on Thursday: "It's completely unacceptable, they’ve had since 2017 [the start of Brexit negotiations between the UK and the EU] to prepare for this eventuality, and they’ve obviously done a very poor job."‌The digital system, which was due to launch in October last year but only became fully operational on April 10, changes the requirements for UK passengers travelling to countries in the Schengen area. British passport holders may now be required to register biometric details - including fingerprints and facial images - at airport kiosks on arrival. No pre-registration is needed and there is no fee.‌However, the UK Government has warned the new checks can take longer than the old system, which involved manually stamping passports for non-EU travellers on arrival.Mr Jarvis said the new system should be rolled out in a more flexible manner, such as during quieter periods. "Do it when the airports are quiet, when fewer flights are coming in. If you’ve got a Saturday at the start of bank holiday or half term, then obviously be sensible," he told the broadcaster.‌He added that problems are "easing" since the system was first introduced.In April, around 100 easyJet passengers were left behind in Milan after border delays caused them to miss their flights. Mr Jarvis defended the decision to leave passengers behind, saying "our crews have regulated hours where they can fly, and if you wait too long the crew will go out of hours and not be able to complete the flight, so we have no choice".‌A spokesperson for easyJet said at the time: "We are aware that some passengers departing from Milan Linate today experienced longer than usual waiting times at passport control and we advised customers due to fly to allow additional time to make their way through the airport."We have been doing all possible to minimise the impact of the airport queues, holding flights to allow customers extra time and providing free flight transfers for any customers who may have missed their flight including EJU5420 to Manchester."We continue to urge border authorities to ensure they make full and effective use of the permitted flexibilities for as long as needed while European Entry / Exit System is implemented, to avoid these unacceptable border delays for our customers. While this is outside of our control, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused."Article continues belowMore information on the EU’s Entry/Exit System is available on the UK Government website.Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.‌EasyJetAir travelEuropean Union