An NHS trust has sacked 11 employees for inappropriately accessing the medical records of the Nottingham stabbing victims. Students Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-Kumar, and grandfather Ian Coates, were knifed to death by paranoid schizophrenic Valdo Calocane, while three others survived their injuries, on June 13, 2023. It emerged that in 2025, employees at Nottingham University Hospitals (NUH) NHS Trust had accessed their records 'without a legitimate reason'.On Thursday, NUH announced 11 staff members had been dismissed, following investigations that began shortly after the breach was discovered.A further 12 employees received final written warnings, while two were issued with first written warnings for their involvement.Emma Webber, whose 19-year-old son Barnaby was killed in the Nottingham attacks, called the incident 'shocking' - and claimed the numbers were much higher, with 150 employees accessing the records. The revelation comes as a public inquiry continues into the attack - and just days after a similar breach was reported in relation to the Southport attack victims. Further investigations are also ongoing into the access of files relating to three survivors of the incident, the NUH said. Wayne Birkett, Sharon Miller and Marcin Gawronski were all injured by Calocane during the horrific attack. Students Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-Kumar (right and centre) and grandfather Ian Coates (left) were knifed to death by paranoid schizophrenic Valdo Calocane in June 2023 Marcin Gawronski was one of three surviving victims whose files were also accessed Those who were investigated worked in departments across the trust, including doctors, nurses, medical professionals, admin and clerical colleagues.Ms Webber said: 'To learn that 11 staff have been dismissed and 14 faced disciplinary actions is shocking.'What is more shocking is the scale of misconduct – 150 members of staff accessed the records.'The process is not yet complete so we anticipate these numbers to escalate considerably.'The trust is also aware that we do not accept their findings that 48 members of staff had legitimate access. The number is far too high.'The rationale given for legitimacy does not stack up and we are formally challenging this in order to scrutinise properly.'It's heartbreaking that on top of our tragic loss, we've also had to face such appalling additional failures by members of staff who should know better. 'I'd ask them all to consider how they would feel if it was their child or father.'Dr Manjeet Shehmar, medical director at NUH, said: 'The families of Ian, Grace and Barnaby have had to endure much pain and heartache, and I am truly sorry that the actions of some of our staff have added to that.'To access the medical records of our patients without a legitimate reason is totally unacceptable and we are doing all we can to identify where and how that has happened.'I hope that the families, staff and our communities feel reassured by the outcomes so far, that we are taking this seriously and will continue to do so.'We know that the vast majority of our staff understand that appropriate access is a fundamental principle of our duty of care and know that it is essential that access to patient records is lawful, justified and directly related to their role.'By accessing records inappropriately, staff are damaging the valuable contributions made by those colleagues providing care for those patients.'In those cases where it does happen, I hope that this is a very clear reminder that we will take appropriate action.'Nadia Whittome, Labour MP for Nottingham East, welcomed news that disciplinary action has been taken.'These were cruel, selfish actions that showed a complete disregard for the privacy of the victims and the harm that this would cause to their loved ones,' she said.'It is vital that NUH (Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust) takes action to protect patient records from this kind of misuse and that all staff understand that looking up a patient's records without proper, lawful justification is a serious violation.'The Trust said it had contacted the families of Barnaby, Grace and Ian with the findings of the investigation. Both Nottinghamshire Police and the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) have been made aware of the outcomes, while the General Medical Council and Nursing and Midwifery Council are also expected to now look into the matter. An inquiry into the triple killings heard that a similar incident could happen again tomorrow as there is a 'lack of consequences' for police and mental health service failures, experts warned.They said a series of 'red flags' about Calocane's behaviour were missed in the months prior to the fatal stabbings.Calocane was sectioned four times between 2020 and 2022, and he once took a hammer into a hospital ward. This was 'missed as an incident' before he was eventually discharged nine months before the attacks.There had also been a failure to arrest Calocane over an alleged assault at a warehouse. David Spencer, head of crime and justice at the Policy Exchange, called for police and NHS bosses to be held accountable for the attack.He said the three victims were 'visited by evil', adding: 'There was a complete failure of leadership at so many different levels and there is almost a lack of consequences for that failure.' Meanwhile former Old Bailey judge Wendy Joseph, KC, asked: 'How could police not have seen it coming? There was a clear link between mental illness, refusal to have treatment, violence against the police, a route that would take him before the courts. 'And then nothing [happened]. If the bereaved are angry, if we are all, there's a good reason for it.' Valdo Calocane, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 2020, fatally stabbed Barnaby Webber, Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Ian Coates in June 2023On Thursday, it was revealed three nurses have been referred to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) over the incident.The Trust's chief nurse Diane Hull, who took up the post a month after the June 2023 attacks, answered questions from counsel to the inquiry, Rachel Langdale KC.After being asked about disciplinary processes within the Trust in relation to the case, Ms Hull said: 'Three people have been referred to the NMC. We regularly consult with the NMC.'We've also committed… to do a further review of professional standards and practice following the inquiry as well.'Ms Hull said she did not recall what she had said at a meeting with colleagues which included a discussion around predictability and preventability.'I don't remember those exact words,' she told the inquiry.'I don't think I could say that the terrible events of June the 13th could have been prevented.'But what I can say, with absolute clarity, is that we failed to exhaust all of the options and all of the interventions available to us.'And given the kind of things we've heard, particularly through the inquiry, it does lead me to think that had we at different points during his care and our contacts… had we and others taken different action it might have impacted the outcome.'The latest confidentiality breach comes just days after it emerged 48 hospital workers inappropriately accessed the medical records of the Southport attack victims.Leanne Lucas, who was the instructor at the Taylor Swift-themed dance workshop targeted by Axel Rudakubana in July 2024, said she was 'devastated and horrified' and claimed the NHS staff had 'abused their position'. Rudakubana's cowardly attack with a kitchen knife saw him fatally stab seven-year-old Elsie Dot Stancombe, Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine, and Bebe King, six. Ten others were injured, including Leanne herself, who has been credited with saving many lives that day. Some of those injured were treated at the University Hospitals of Liverpool Group, where numerous members of staff accessed the records of the victims without good reason.An information access audit carried out by the trust in the days following the incident showed 48 staff members inappropriately accessed the medical records, the HSJ reports.According to the HSJ, University Hospitals of Liverpool Group reported the incident to the Information Commissioner's Office in August 2024.The hospital's trust chief executive, James Sumner, said after it had concluded its investigation, it had made the decision not to inform the patients involved after 'taking into consideration the potential psychological impact it may have upon them at the time'. Ms Lucas said: 'I am absolutely devastated and horrified that my privacy has been invaded when I was at my most vulnerable.'Nothing will take away my gratitude to the staff who saved my life, but 48 people not involved in my care abused their position of trust to access the files of victims who have suffered unspeakable trauma.'The decision to keep this from me for almost two years is a new low. 'I am speaking out as I want this scandal and the attempted cover up by senior management exposed for what it is.'NHS University Hospitals of Liverpool Group said it was 'sincerely sorry for any distress that may have been caused to the patients that were under our care and who trusted us to look after them when they were most vulnerable'.The ICO had been contacted about the incident.
NHS sacks 11 staff over accessing Nottingham stabbing victim records
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust has sacked 11 employees for inappropriately accessing the medical records of the Nottingham attacks victims.








