A Congolese man died after being restrained by security guards outside a Dublin department store over an alleged shoplifting incident.Yves Sakila, 35, was pronounced dead in hospital after he was held on the ground outside Arnotts on Friday afternoon last week, following the alleged theft of perfume bottles from the store.Footage shared online appears to show Mr Sakila pinned to the pavement by several men for almost five minutes, with one guard appearing to place a knee on the back of his head or neck as shoppers watched on.Mothers pushing prams could be seen watching on as Mr Sakila screamed while guards shouted: 'Stay down.' After more than three minutes, Mr Sakila appeared unresponsive, and the guards released him. One guard was seen pulling up his hood while appearing shaken as he made a phone call.Irish police said security personnel detained Mr Sakila shortly after 5pm in connection with an alleged shoplifting incident before he became unresponsive at the scene. Mr Sakila, who had been living in Ireland since 2004, was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.The footage has been described as 'deeply disturbing' and has sparked anger among Ireland's minority communities. Ireland's Taoiseach Micheál Martin said the incident must be 'thoroughly investigated'. A Congolese man died after being restrained by security guards outside a Dublin department store over an alleged shoplifting incident Footage shared online appears to show Mr Sakila pinned to the pavement by several men for almost five minutes, with one guard appearing to place a knee on the back of his head or neck as shoppers watched on After more than three minutes, Mr Sakila appeared unresponsive and the guards released him Yves Sakila, 35, was pronounced dead in hospital after he was held on the ground outside Arnotts on Friday afternoon'The full circumstances of what happened need to be examined and investigated fully and thoroughly. The situation is deeply concerning,' he told parliament on Tuesday.Police said an investigation into all the circumstances surrounding the incident remains ongoing. Officers also said a man in his 80s was injured at the scene as Mr Sakila allegedly attempted to flee.The Garda Ombudsman, known as Fiosrú, is examining the incident after it was referred by police. The Irish Network Against Racism expressed concern that excessive force may have been used against Sakila and said in a statement that 'the death of a black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying.'Passers-by stopped on Henry Street on Wednesday, where flowers were laid at the spot where Sakila was detained.'I couldn't sleep at night. I just kept watching it (the video) time over time,' said Sanaa Basit, a translator and mother of two who moved to Ireland from Sudan 10 years ago.Laure Zoya, vice president of the Congolese Community in Ireland group, said its members, who she said were among the first black communities to move to Ireland, were shocked, disturbed and no longer felt safe.Sakila moved to Ireland when he was very young, she added.'The Ireland that they knew 30 years ago is no longer the same,' Zoya told national broadcaster RTE.On Tuesday at noon, dozens of people gathered at a vigil in Henry Street and left red roses and flowers at a site along the busy shopping street.The crowd chanted 'Justice for Yves' and 'no more violence', and carried handmade signs, including one that said 'Black lives matter here too'. People stand near flowers laid outside a department store on Henry Street where Sakila was restrained by security guards last week and later pronounced dead in hospital in Dublin, Ireland Antoinette Lukeba attends a vigil for Yves Sakila on Henry Street, DublinPeople expressed their shock at his death.'It's not all about the colour, I'd be out here for anybody. It could happen to anybody, it could happen to you, it could happen to me,' Chris Kibiadi said.A woman called Lolo who lives in Dublin 24, who wanted to give only her first name, said gardai should have been called in the incident and said the death was 'painful'.'I was shocked. How many white people come to the Congo and steal diamonds and gold and everything?'Bernie Darcy said she attended the protest as a friend and a mother and thought the incident was 'scandalous'.'I was angry and upset,' she said, adding that the vigil was a good opportunity for people to grieve.John Kabongo, who addressed the crowd, said his children were upset after watching the video.'My kids were so upset for the whole day, they are scared. When they saw this on the video, they said "Dad, is this really happening in Ireland?" I don't know how to explain to them.'We're asking for justice to be done. No matter where you're from, black or white, this is not fair.'Addressing the crowd, Mr Kabongo said 'Bertie Ahern, watch your mouth next time,' after the former taoiseach said 'we can't be taking in people from the Congo' while campaigning as part of the Dublin Central by-election.Mr Ahern has apologised for any offence his comments may have caused.Walter Kabangu, director of communications of the Congolese Chamber of Commerce in Ireland, said he was 'shocked and saddened' at the incident.'As a community, as a whole, we demand justice to what happened,' he told the Press Association.'We don't want more violence to take place. I went to the same secondary school as Yves as well, so to see those images was shocking and very sad.'Arnotts said in a statement: 'Our heartfelt sympathies go to his family, his friends, and the wider Congolese community in Ireland, who are grieving his loss.'No loss of life should ever be the outcome of a retail security incident.'We recognise the deep hurt and concern this tragedy has caused within Dublin's Congolese community and among the wider public, and we take those concerns with the utmost seriousness.'It added: 'Arnotts is actively co-operating with An Garda Siochana in their investigations to determine the circumstances surrounding Mr Sakila's death, and we are conducting a full review with the independently contracted security firm that provides in-store security services for Arnotts.'Arnotts cannot make any further public comment while the garda investigations remain active and we are committed to ensuring that the facts are established.'Asked about Mr Sakila on Tuesday morning, the Taoiseach shared his sympathies with the man's family.'My deepest sympathies go out to his family, and to the wider Congolese community,' Mr Martin said.'The situation will have to be thoroughly investigated, and needs to be thoroughly investigated.'I don't want to prejudice the outcome of that investigation but I think a lot of people are clearly very concerned about what has transpired here.'The Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) said it was 'extremely disturbed' by reports of Mr Sakila's death.'The death of a black man in such circumstances is extremely worrying, and we urge the authorities to thoroughly investigate all of the circumstances leading to this man's death, in order to ensure minority ethnic community confidence in the criminal justice system,' INAR director Shane O'Curry said.
Congolese man accused of shoplifting dies after being pinned down
Yves Sakila, 35, was pronounced dead in hospital after he was held on the ground outside Arnotts on Friday afternoon following the alleged theft of perfume bottles from the store.











