An external review ordered by Channel 4 is under way.19:16, 20 May 2026Under pressure Channel 4 have said they “can’t investigate” allegations of rape and sexual assault made by former contestants of Married At First Sight UK. An external review ordered by Channel 4 is under way after two women told the BBC’s Panorama programme they were allegedly raped by their on-screen partners during filming on MAFS.Chief executive Priya Dogra did apologise to the women who appeared on the BBC investigation, she stopped short of saying the channel would be looking into what happened to individuals on their show. Dogra, spoke at the broadcaster’s annual report at an event in London on Wednesday.She said: “While I attempt to do my best to answer questions, I’ll ask their forbearance because there are limitations on what I can say before this review is complete late in the summer. That said I have watched the (Panorama) programme and heard the women’s accounts, which are very troubling. Their distress is clear, and for that I am, of course, deeply sorry. Welfare across all our programmes is hugely important to us, and is a primary concern.“However, I’m sure you’ll appreciate that Channel 4 cannot investigate the specific allegations against the men, which they have denied, nor can I comment on them in any way. We are a broadcaster, not an adjudicator, and allegations of this type are investigated by other bodies, including when complaints are raised by the police. What I can do, and have done, as you have heard, is to commission an external review, which I did just days after being first contacted by the BBC back in April.”READ MORE: Channel 4 could face police probe into Married At First Sight UK after Panorama claimsREAD MORE: Two Married at First Sight UK brides tell BBC they were 'raped by onscreen husbands'Ian Katz, the channel's chief content officer, who said he was aware of "some" of the allegations included in the documentary when they were initially raised and was "very confident" the correct decisions had been made by the channel at the time.He said: "I would just say I was obviously here and making decisions relating to some of the issues that you raised in the Panorama and I am very confident that based on the knowledge that we had at the time that we made the right decisions - that we ensured that women involved were kept safe when any issues were raised to us, that we gave them the appropriate support and that we took the right decisions through the production process and beyond that."Mr Katz went on to say that it was "clearly right to take a second look" at the allegations and whether the channel "got it right at the time" or could do anything to improve welfare.Channel 4 also clarified that MAFS had not been axed saying "no decision has been made” on the broadcast of the next series of MAFS UK. The Mirror understands the it was due to launch in September, but all plans have been paused whilst the external review takes place and insiders say a delay is likely if the show continues. Channel 4 and makers CPL are set to implement any review recommendations, before they can consider screening the reality series again.As well as as the two allegations of rape, a third accused her on-screen partner of sexual misconduct on the Panorama programme called The Dark Side of Married at First Sight.Shona Manderson , who appeared on the show in 2023, accused her onscreen husband Bradley Skelly of sexual misconduct, claiming she suffered a non consensual sex act. She added she deserved better welfare from CPL. Mr Skelly categorically denies “any allegations of sexual misconduct or that he was controlling”.MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee have written to Channel 4 and Ofcom about their response to allegations of rape and sexual assault on Married At First Sight UK.Chairwoman of the CMS Committee, Dame Caroline Dinenage, said: "The horrifying allegations about Married At First Sight raise serious concerns over whether enough is being done to protect people taking part in reality television. Both Channel 4 and Ofcom, as the broadcasting regulator, have urgent questions to answer."A letter to Channel 4 asks about its complaints process for contestants on the programme and the steps taken to ensure the allegations were fully investigated, along with the review announced by the broadcaster. It also questions the broadcaster about its approach to duty of care to participants on its other reality TV programmes.A CMS Committee message to Ofcom asks it about the role of the broadcasting regulator in the complaints process, its powers to investigate potential breaches of the broadcasting code, and the timeline for launching its own investigation into the Married At First Sight allegations.On Tuesday, police urged potential victims of sexual assault on reality TV show Married At First Sight UK to get in touch.A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "We are aware of media reporting relating to allegations of rape and sexual assault following the airing of a television programme on Monday, May 18. At this time, we have not received any criminal reports in relation to this matter."We will be making approaches to the relevant production teams to ensure that anyone they have spoken to is aware of how to report any criminal allegations to police. We continue to encourage anyone who believes they have been a victim of sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, to get in touch with us."The show, which is produced for Channel 4 by independent production company CPL, sees single people matched by experts and then "marry", with couples meeting for the first time on their wedding day.The "marriages" on the show are not legally binding but the couples go on a "honeymoon" and move in together after their weddings.‌Channel 4 has removed all previous seasons of the show from its streaming platforms.Shortly before the Panorama episode aired, Channel 4 announced it had commissioned an external review into contributor welfare last month, which it expects to report in the coming months.Channel 4 said it was "presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied", and added that it is "mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors".‌Lawyers for CPL reportedly told the BBC its welfare system is "gold standard" and it acted appropriately.A psychologist who worked on MAFS has said yesterday/Wednesday more "transparency" is needed to protect contestants after women made allegations of rape and sexual assault. Jo Hemmings previously worked on the programme and said that despite protocols and welfare practices being "very tight", she felt there were gaps between what psychologists would recommend and what was broadcast.‌Psychologist Hemmings said: "There's this sort of pressing need to travel in a direction of making something more controversial each year and I think we need to step back from that."There needs to be more transparency in this whole process."Hemmings said contestants should be allowed to see some footage or request that certain footage was not shown because welfare "should be at the heart of everything that the production team does".Article continues belowThe psychologist added that she hopes the broadcaster will consider making the welfare team's budget independent from the production company to ensure concerns raised are not disregarded.Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.