Get your news delivered straight to you by 7am - sign up to our new Morning Mail newsletter for FREE See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred SourceBy TOM LAWRENCE, NEWS REPORTER Published: 13:05 BST, 20 May 2026 | Updated: 15:49 BST, 20 May 2026

A teenager has been arrested after a walker was allegedly stabbed from behind at a golf course.The victim, a man in his 60s, was walking on a footpath through Stafford's Castle Golf Club at around 7pm on May 14 when he was allegedly attacked.An unknown man reportedly approached him from behind and attacked him.A passer-by called 999 after finding the man slumped on a bench with multiple stab wounds.The victim was rushed to hospital, where he is still fighting for his life. A 17-year-old boy, from Stafford, was arrested last night on suspicion of attempted murder. He remains in custody.Police previously released footage showing a suspect in blue tracksuit trousers and a black puffer jacket with a hood up sprinting along a road. Police previously released CCTV footage of a suspect as they hunt the alleged attacker A police cordon and forensic tent next to a putting green near where the man in his 60's was allegedly stabbed A 17-year-old boy, from Stafford, was arrested last night on suspicion of attempted murderThe victim - who has not been named but is understood to be from Stafford - managed to stagger from the pathway to the golf clubhouse, where he collapsed on a memorial bench outside with blood pouring from his wounds. The man suffered multiple injuries to his legs and body and had 'defensive' wounds to both hands.The victim is not a member of the club, a barman working on Saturday said.He said a member had found him and immediately called 999.The worker, who declined to be named, said: 'The club was open late on Thursday, thankfully.'I wasn't working but I heard what happened because it was all over Facebook and the local and national news.'Nobody it seems saw the attack but the man managed to get to the club where he collapsed on the bench outside pouring with blood.'We heard he had injuries all over his body and legs and had defensive wounds to his hands so it appears he was trying to fight off his attacker.' The barman added: 'It is nice area and usually a safe place. The man is not a member of our club but was just walking nearby and got attacked randomly.'It is a popular route and a 15-minute walk up to the castle.'The man was found slumped on the bench outside the club by one of our members. He was very badly injured and luckily the golfer managed to raise the alarm quickly to get help.' Detectives have released an image of a suspect in connection with the attackDetective Chief Inspector Ian Fitzgerald said: 'The arrest is a significant development in our investigation which continues at pace.'I have a range of specialist resources dedicated to this investigation. The victim remains in hospital in a critical but stable condition. His family are being supported by our family liaison officers.'The response from the community has been invaluable with lots of people sharing information and CCTV footage. 'However, I must ask people not to use AI or other software to enhance any of the images we have shared. 'It is incredibly harmful to our investigation, particularly when arrests have been made and legal proceedings are active.'Police said a 30-year-old man who was questioned in connection with the investigation has since been released on conditional bail.