Stay up to date with notifications from The IndependentNotifications can be managed in browser preferences.AllNewsSportCultureLifestyleShipping monitor Lloyd's List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, around double the number from the week before (AFP via Getty Images)Three tankers were crossing the Strait of Hormuz Wednesday in a promising sign of peace as President Donald Trump claimed talks to end the war in Iran were in the “final stages.”Two giant Chinese tankers laden with around 4 million barrels of oil exited the strait Wednesday after Iran reached an agreement to ease rules for Chinese ships. A Korean tanker was also crossing the strait Wednesday in cooperation with Iran.Iran closed the strait to most ships in February after the first strikes by U.S. and Israel, leading to significant disruptions in global energy supplies. At least 54 ships are believed to have transited the strait last week, around double the number from the week before. Iran said 26 ships had crossed in the past 24 hours, still only a fraction of the 140 or so each day that typically crossed before the war. Iran's stated goal is to reopen the strait to nations that agree to its terms, potentially involving fees for passage which the U.S. deems unacceptable."We're in the final stages of Iran,” Trump told reporters Wednesday. “We'll see what happens. Either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won't happen.”In fullIran-US war latest: Trump in ‘no hurry’ to end conflict and threatens to ‘do something nasty’ if deal not struckThank you for registeringPlease refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged inPlease refresh your browser to be logged in