adsNigeria’s Defence Headquarters has dismissed claims that terrorist groups have established operational bases in the South-West, insisting that the recent abduction of pupils and staff in Oyo State was an isolated criminal incident rather than evidence of an entrenched insurgent presence in the region.

In a statement issued on Tuesday by Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, the military said troops were actively pursuing the kidnappers responsible for the attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State and had already engaged the assailants in the forest.

The statement, issued on behalf of Olufemi Oluyede, Chief of Defence Staff, also conveyed condolences to the families of victims abducted during the attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinle; and L.A. Primary School.

Oluyede described the abduction of innocent schoolchildren and staff as “callous and reprehensible,” stressing that the Armed Forces was deploying all available resources to secure the victims’ unconditional release.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.adsads