Published on

20/05/2026 - 13:24 GMT+2

Beijing will work with Washington on reducing levies affecting tens of billions of dollars in goods, the commerce ministry said Wednesday and days after US President Donald Trump visited China.

The world's two largest economies spent much of 2025 embroiled in an escalating trade war until Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping reached a one-year truce when they met in South Korea in October.

As a result of their summit last week, a trade council has been set up, under the auspices of which "both sides agreed in principle to discuss a framework arrangement for reciprocal tariff reductions on products of equivalent scale," the ministry said in a statement.