I made my feelings clear last week about the possibility of a 24-team College Football Playoff. The majority of you agree with me that it would be ruinous to the long-term health of college football. Many of you don’t.But putting opinions aside, there’s a major question mark hovering over this thing that I don’t quite understand:How can the Big Ten, ACC, Big 12 and Notre Dame come out in support of 24 without yet knowing if someone is going to pay for it?For all the public shows of support, media consultants for the CFP only recently began modeling TV projections. It’s no mystery why the ACC’s coaches and athletic directors support expansion (more berths for their own schools), but industry sources were surprised that commissioner Jim Phillips went public while also putting this statement out there: “ESPN made it clear that it wants it to stay at 12 or 14, but no more than 16.”“I haven’t seen (revenue) models yet,” UCLA athletic director Martin Jarmond told The Athletic’s Scott Dochterman on Monday at the Big Ten’s spring meetings. “Obviously, if you go to 24, you’re going to lose a championship game, so I think conferences and people have to figure that piece out.”On Tuesday, Big Ten commissioner Tony Petitti reiterated there is a “deep commitment to 24 (teams)” within his conference and that “We had zero conversation about 16.” That’s in part because he doesn’t “think (the 16-team Playoff) works economically.”The conferences still need to figure out how to replace an estimated $200-$250 million in annual combined value of their canceled conference championship games, Petitti claimed the gate receipts from the 12 new on-campus games would at least account for $80 million of the tab, but the SEC’s alone is worth $100 million (which, unlike CFP revenue, it keeps for itself). There’s a reason SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has not yet hopped on board a proposal his Big Ten foil first began circulating last year.But the Big Ten’s primary rights holder, Fox Sports, strongly favors 24.“I don’t see any reason why the CFP can’t be 24 teams,” Fox Sports CEO Eric Shanks said last fall (and again on subsequent occasions). “(It) would give the CFP the opportunity to have more networks involved.”It looks pretty simple, right? Fox wants in on the CFP for the first time, and ESPN wants to keep the tournament to itself.But there’s more to it than that. Less than three years ago, the CFP’s entire rights came on the market — and Fox did not even bid. No one did except ESPN, which paid $1.3 billion annually to re-up through 2031-32.But now we’re to believe there’s going to be a bidding war for one early-December weekend of games involving teams ranked Nos. 9 through 24?“You’re essentially just bringing in more teams with less and less chance of competing for the championship,” said media analyst John Kosner. “The media value will grow a bit, but it might not grow to the level schools hope.”
Fox wants a 24-team College Football Playoff. ESPN’s pushing back. No one knows who is paying
Let's hope the Power 4 members don't reinvent college football for couch cushion change.












