The head of the World Health Organization said on Wednesday the risk of global spread of the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda is high at national, regional levels but low at the global level. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said so far 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo in the northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu provinces in Congo, “although we know the scale of the epidemic is much larger". He said Uganda has also told the UN health agency of two confirmed cases in Uganda’s capital, Kampala. “Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected,” he said. “We expect those numbers to keep increasing.” Read moreWHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda A WHO ​Emergency Committee met ‌on Tuesday in Geneva and confirmed that the latest Ebola outbreak ‌of the rare Bundibugyo strain of ​the virus is a public health emergency of international concern but not ​a pandemic emergency, he ​said. Tedros declared the emergency at the ​weekend, the first time a WHO chief has taken that step without first consulting experts, ⁠due to the urgency of the ⁠situation, ​he said.

To display this content from YouTube, you must enable advertisement tracking and audience measurement.