Skip to Content Subscribe Our Offers My Account Manage My Subscriptions FAQ Newsletters Canada Canadian True Crime Canadian Politics Health World Israel & Middle East Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Comics NP News Quiz New York Times Crossword Horoscopes Life Eating & Drinking Style Sponsored Play for Ontario Travel Travel Canada Travel USA Travel International Cruises Travel Essentials Culture Books Celebrity Movies Music Theatre Television Business Essentials Advice Lives Told Tails Told Shopping Buy Canadian Home Living Outdoor Living Tech Style & Beauty Kitchen & Dining Personal Care Entertainment & Hobbies Gift Guide Travel Guide Deals Savings National Post Store More Sports Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Soccer Golf Tennis Driving Vehicle Research Reviews News Gear Guide Obituaries Place an Obituary Place an In Memoriam Classifieds Place an Ad Celebrations Working Business Ads Archives Healthing Epaper Manage Print Subscription Profile Settings My Subscriptions Saved Articles My Offers Newsletters Customer Service FAQ Newsletters Canada World Financial Post NP Comment Longreads Puzzmo Diversions Life Shopping Epaper Manage Print Subscription HomeNewsWorldU.S. troop deployment to Poland delayed, not canceled, says JD VanceLast week U.S. officials said the deployment had been scrapped, the latest move by the Trump administration to slash troop numbers stationed with European NATO alliesAuthor of the article: You can save this article by registering for free here. Or sign-in if you have an account.Soldiers of the U.S. Army 2nd Cavalry Regiment Stryker Brigade prepare to head out with their vehicles during the Saber Strike 26 NATO military exercises near Bemowo Piskie, Poland, on May 7, 2026. Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images/FileU.S. Vice President JD Vance said Tuesday that a deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland had been delayed rather than canceled, but said Europe had to stand on its “own two feet.”Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.Unlimited online access to National Post.National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.Support local journalism.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one account.Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.Enjoy additional articles per month.Get email updates from your favourite authors.Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.Access articles from across Canada with one accountShare your thoughts and join the conversation in the commentsEnjoy additional articles per monthGet email updates from your favourite authorsSign In or Create an AccountorLast week U.S. officials said that the deployment had been scrapped, the latest move by President Donald Trump’s administration to slash troop numbers stationed with European NATO allies.Vance — one of the administration’s most vocal critics of Europe and a strong skeptic about U.S. aid to Ukraine — said Trump had been urging European allies to take more of the burden for their defence since his first term.Get a dash of perspective along with the trending news of the day in a very readable format.By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.A welcome email is on its way. If you don't see it, please check your junk folder.The next issue of NP Posted will soon be in your inbox.We encountered an issue signing you up. Please try again“We have got to have more sovereignty and more of Europe standing on its own two feet. That will continue to be our policy in Europe,” Vance told a briefing at the White House.But when asked about the 4,000 troops and Poland, Vance replied: “It is a delay in troop rotation. Those troops could go elsewhere in Europe. We could decide to send them elsewhere.“We actually haven’t made the final determination about where those troops are ultimately going to go.”A senior U.S. military officer told a congressional hearing last week that the head of U.S. European Command had “received the instructions on the force reduction” in Poland, a key ally on NATO’s eastern flank with Russia.Trump has appeared determined to punish allies who have failed to back the Middle East war or contribute to a peacekeeping force in the crucial Strait of Hormuz waterway, which Iran has effectively closed.The Pentagon announced at the beginning of May that Washington would pull 5,000 troops from Germany.Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here. Join the Conversation This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
U.S. troop deployment to Poland delayed, not canceled, says JD Vance
Last week U.S. officials said the deployment had been scrapped, as Trump looks to slash troop numbers stationed with European NATO allies.










