At least two people were killed during an “active shooter” situation near a mosque in the Clairemont neighborhood of San Diego on Monday, according to a report.The incident was reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego — which hosts a variety of religious programs — shortly after 3 pm ET. About an hour later, police said the threat had been “neutralized” and that a media staging area was being established.NBC San Diego reported that two suspects are dead, though this has not been confirmed by police.Aerial footage of the scene showed a substantial police presence, with dozens of vehicles lining a street and yellow caution tape cordoning off the area. Heavily armed officers were seen entering the building as people dispersed from the area, some holding hands."The entire school is safe. All the kids and staff and teachers are safe,” an imam at the center said in a video posted to Facebook at 4:30 pm ET. “We have a few casualties, not confirmed yet.”Police are responding to reports of an active shooter near a mosque in San Diego, California, on Monday. Officials said the threat had been ‘neutralized’ (Reuters)A representative for Sharp Memorial Hospital confirmed to NBC News that patients from the scene had been transported there.“Our disaster procedures have been activated and we are coordinating with the County of San Diego and other resources to respond to the incident," the spokesperson said.California Governor Gavin Newsom said in a statement that he has been briefed on the incident and is coordinating with law enforcement.“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” Newsom said.San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria also said he was aware of the reported shooting, adding that officials are “actively working to protect the community and secure the area.”People living and working in the surrounding neighborhoods were urged to shelter in place, according to NBC News.Aerial footage shows dozens of police vehicles lining a road near the Islamic center (Reuters)Members of the Muslim community use their phones at the scene of a reported active shooter situation at the Islamic Center (Reuters)The Council on American-Islamic Relations, the largest Muslim-American civil liberties organization in the U.S., released a statement condemning the shooting.“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” CAIR said. “We are working to learn more about this incident and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers.”According to its website, the Islamic Center is the largest mosque in San Diego County, which has an estimated population of some 3.2 million people.“Our mission is to serve the religious needs of the San Diego Muslim population and work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation,” the website states. The center hosts five daily prayers, sermons and various educational seminars.This is a breaking story...