The Trump administration announced on Sunday that China agreed to a sweeping soybean deal, appearing to mark an amicable end to a trade conflict between the countries. The White House said Chinese President Xi Jinping would purchase at least $17 billion a year of U.S. agricultural products in 2026, 2027, and 2028, in addition to the soybean purchase commitments Beijing made in October 2025. Xi made the commitment during his recent meeting with President Donald Trump, following months of pressure from Washington. “President Trump and President Xi agreed that the United States and China should build a constructive relationship of strategic stability on the basis of fairness and reciprocity,” the White House said, adding that China also restored market access for U.S. beef by renewing expired listings of more than 400 U.S. beef facilities and adding new listings, and working with U.S. regulators to lift all suspensions.
The development comes after Trump’s tariffs on China last year triggered a trade war between Beijing and Washington, impacting the soybean market among other sectors. China pulled out of soybean agreements it had with U.S. farmers in retaliation for Trump’s “Liberation Day” tariffs last April, effectively boycotting the industry. The move left farmers ailing and sparked Trump’s outrage.











