The 2026 FIFA World Cup kicks off in June — and HuffPost will be live-blogging every twist, turn and controversy from the buildup through the final of what’s widely shaping up to be the most political soccer tournament of all time.From the action on the pitch to the potential chaos off it, the storylines are already piling up: Iran’s possible non-participation amid Donald Trump’s war, the president’s close relationship with FIFA’s Peace Prize-awarding President Gianni Infantino, and simmering tensions between the U.S. and fellow host nations Mexico and Canada fueled by Trump’s tariffs and divisive rhetoric.Trump’s travel bans could keep some fans out, there’s been fury over soaring ticket prices, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents could be present at games as the Trump administration continues its anti-immigration crackdown.Not to mention extreme heat concerns that scorched all those involved the last time the U.S. hosted the tournament some 32 years ago, in 1994.And that’s all before a ball has been kicked.U.S. President Donald Trump received the FIFA Peace Prize from FIFA President Gianni Infantino in December.Andrew Harnik via Getty ImagesOn the field, the men’s national teams from 48 countries will compete in a record 104 matches across the three host nations in what will be the biggest World Cup in history.Mexico will take on South Africa at the iconic Mexico City Stadium in the opening game on June 11. The U.S. will play Paraguay in Los Angeles on June 12, Australia in Seattle on June 19 and Turkey back in Los Angeles on June 25, in the group games, before potentially competing in the later knockout rounds.The final will be held on July 19 at MetLife Stadium, which is being temporarily rebranded as the New York/New Jersey Stadium for the competition.Current European champions Spain are favorites to lift the trophy. Defending champions Argentina, of Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi fame, along with France, England and Brazil, are also expected to be in the mix.Check out the full games schedule on the FIFA website.Follow along with our coverage below:Brazil Star’s Final World Cup Audition Hit By Stunning Substitution BlunderAn apparent mistake by the fourth official forced Neymar off the field during Santos' 3-0 home loss to Coritiba in a Brazilian league match on Sunday, the last chance for the star striker to impress before Brazil's World Cup squad is announced.The 34-year-old Neymar, who has struggled to be fit since he tore his ACL in October 2023, has tried for more than a year to show Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti he deserves a place in the squad.The incident took place in the 65th minute, when Coritiba was already leading 3-0 and Neymar, whose form has improved in recent weeks, was having a quiet match for relegation-threatened Santos.Neymar was on the field having his right calf sprayed by a doctor when the referee told him to go to the sidelines, where the treatment continued. In a matter of seconds, the fourth official raised the substitution board which indicated that No. 10 — Neymar — would be leaving for Robinho Jr., who immediately stepped onto the pitch.“I knew Robinho was coming in, but I wasn’t even watching it,” Neymar said. “I didn’t know I had been substituted, I had not seen the board. It was a very serious mistake by the officials, by the fellow who puts the numbers on the board.”Santos coach Cuca and Neymar himself informed the fourth official and referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli that a mistake had been made with defender Gonzalo Escobar — No. 31 jersey — the intended player to be substituted.Zanovelli gave Neymar a yellow card for refusing to accept the substitution. The striker then took the official substitution request sheet and showed it to broadcasters at the Neo Quimica Arena in Sao Paulo, with Escobar's number on it instead of his own.“It is a mistake (of the fourth official) indeed. But it wasn’t the reason why we lost, it would be unfair to place blame on this,” Santos coach Cuca said in a press conference.Brazil's soccer confederation, which organizes the country's league, is yet to comment publicly about the incident.Ancelotti will announce Brazil's squad on Monday in Rio de Janeiro.Brazilian media reports said that Neymar's chances of being in the 26-player squad have increased recently because his inclusion is favored by other players who Ancelotti is certain to take to the World Cup.See All UpdatesClose
Brazil Star’s Final World Cup Audition Hit By Stunning Substitution Blunder
Follow along for the latest news ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
727 words~3 min read






