The 2026 FIFA World Cup kicks off in June — and HuffPost will be live-blogging every twist, turn and controversy from the buildup through the final of what’s widely shaping up to be the most political soccer tournament of all time.From the action on the pitch to the potential chaos off it, the storylines are already piling up: Iran’s possible non-participation amid Donald Trump’s war, the president’s close relationship with FIFA’s Peace Prize-awarding President Gianni Infantino, and simmering tensions between the U.S. and fellow host nations Mexico and Canada fueled by Trump’s tariffs and divisive rhetoric.Trump’s travel bans could keep some fans out, there’s been fury over soaring ticket prices, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents could be present at games as the Trump administration continues its anti-immigration crackdown.Not to mention extreme heat concerns that scorched all those involved the last time the U.S. hosted the tournament some 32 years ago, in 1994.And that’s all before a ball has been kicked.U.S. President Donald Trump received the FIFA Peace Prize from FIFA President Gianni Infantino in December.Andrew Harnik via Getty ImagesOn the field, the men’s national teams from 48 countries will compete in a record 104 matches across the three host nations in what will be the biggest World Cup in history.Mexico will take on South Africa at the iconic Mexico City Stadium in the opening game on June 11. The U.S. will play Paraguay in Los Angeles on June 12, Australia in Seattle on June 19 and Turkey back in Los Angeles on June 25, in the group games, before potentially competing in the later knockout rounds.The final will be held on July 19 at MetLife Stadium, which is being temporarily rebranded as the New York/New Jersey Stadium for the competition.Current European champions Spain are favorites to lift the trophy. Defending champions Argentina, of Inter Miami’s Lionel Messi fame, along with France, England and Brazil, are also expected to be in the mix.Check out the full games schedule on the FIFA website.Follow along with our coverage below:Crushing Blow For Brazil As Star Defender Ruled Out Of World CupReal Madrid defender Eder Militao will miss the World Cup after undergoing surgery on a hamstring tear, the Spanish club said on Tuesday, dealing a heavy blow to club and country less than 50 days before the tournament begins on June 11."Our player Eder Militao underwent successful surgery today for a tear in the proximal biceps femoris tendon in his left leg. The operation was performed by Dr Lasse Lempainen under the supervision of Real Madrid's medical staff. Militão will begin his rehabilitation in the coming days," Real Madrid said in a statement.Militao felt a twinge in a challenge shortly before halftime in last week's win over Alaves and immediately signalled to be replaced.It was initially thought the 28-year-old could recover in time for the World Cup, but further tests showed a recurrence of the injury he sustained in December.Militao has also suffered two serious knee injuries in recent years.See All UpdatesClose
Crushing Blow For Brazil As Star Defender Ruled Out Of World Cup
Follow along for the latest news ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
499 words~2 min read






