Europe
"The public health risk has been reassessed with the most current information available, and the global risk remains low," said a WHO statement.
A Spain's Guardia Civil boat sails next to Dutch flagged hantavirus-stricken cruise ship MV Hondius in the port of Granadilla de Abona on the island of Tenerife in Spain's Canary Islands on May 11, 2026. A complex repatriation operation from the Canary Islands on May 10 flew out 94 passengers and crew of 19 different nationalities from the Dutch-flagged MV Hondius, which had been at the center of an international alert after three passengers died. (AFP/Jorge Guerrero)
The World Health Organization said Sunday it was maintaining its assessment of the hantavirus outbreak as "low risk" as the cruise ship where the outbreak originated approached the Netherlands."The public health risk has been reassessed with the most current information available, and the global risk remains low," said a WHO statement.
"While additional cases may still occur among passengers and crew members exposed before containment measures were implemented, the risk of onward transmission is expected to be reduced following disembarkation and the implementation of control measures," it added.










