Groundwork in progress for the proposed Smart Street Vending Zone on Old Jail Road in Visakhapatnam.

| Photo Credit: File photo

The proposed ‘Smart Street Vending Zone’ under the night food court project on Old Jail Road has hit a roadblock after a former corporator from the Jana Sena Party (JSP) alleged irregularities in its execution and obtained a status quo order from the High Court. The development is likely to delay the much-awaited initiative leaving several workers and small vendors in distress.Former JSP corporator P.L.V.N. Murthy alleged that the project was planned with a total estimated cost of ₹6 crore, of which ₹2 crore each was to be contributed by the Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation (GVMC), the Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA), and the State government. However, he claimed that the State government’s share of funds had not been released and that the GVMC proceeded with calling tenders and commencing works without obtaining necessary permissions from the Visakhapatnam Metropolitan Region Development Authority (VMRDA).He further alleged that the construction activity being carried out near the compound wall of VMRDA’s Central Park was unauthorised and violated norms. Questioning the manner in which the project was being executed, Mr. Murthy approached the High Court seeking intervention. Following his petition, the court reportedly granted a status quo order, directing that the ongoing works be halted until further proceedings.Meanwhile, the delay raised concern among vendors and workers dependent on the proposed facility. President of the Night Food Court Vendors Welfare Association, K. Srikanth, said the vendors have been facing severe hardships since their shops were removed in September last year (2025) to facilitate the project. He noted that after months of delay, the commencement of works had raised hopes among the vendors, but the latest legal hurdle has once again pushed many families into financial uncertainty.Appealing to the authorities to resolve the issue at the earliest, Srikanth said the prolonged delay has severely affected the livelihoods of several families who rely on the food court for their daily income. Published - May 09, 2026 08:19 pm IST