ToplineLouis C.K., the stand-up comedian whose 2017 sexual misconduct allegations cost him a lucrative partnership with Netflix, is rejoining the streamer for a new special, his first major deal with a streaming service since the “Me Too” fallout caused him to pivot to self-releasing material.Louis C.K. lost his previous Netflix deal after multiple women accused him of sexual misconduct. (Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images)Getty ImagesKey FactsLouis C.K.’s new deal with Netflix includes a forthcoming stand-up comedy special, “Ridiculous,” slated to premiere this summer, the streaming service announced in an Instagram post Thursday afternoon. The comedian will also headline the “Netflix Is A Joke Fest,” a comedy festival in Los Angeles that features performances from hundreds of comedians, in May.The Netflix partnership is C.K.’s first major deal with a streaming service since the sexual misconduct allegations, which caused him to pivot to releasing stand-up specials on his website and touring.Netflix reportedly lost $39 million on projects it shelved in the final quarter of 2017, including a C.K. stand-up special and a movie starring Kevin Spacey, whose career was also upended by “Me Too”-era sexual misconduct allegations.C.K. previously joked he “lost $35 million in an hour” while performing in 2018, one of his first stand-up sets since the sexual misconduct allegations, and an unnamed source familiar with his earnings told The Wrap the figure was probably “very real.”Key BackgroundC.K. began as a comedy writer for late-night shows, including Conan O’Brien and David Letterman, before releasing his own stand-up specials and comedy albums. He rose to fame and won two Emmy Awards for creating, writing and starring in the FX comedy show “Louie,” which aired between 2010 and 2015. In 2017, the New York Times published a report citing five women who accused C.K. of masturbating in front of them in incidents dating back to 2002. “These stories are true,” C.K. said in a statement shortly after the report was published. He said he thought “what I did was O.K. because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first,” but added he realized he had power over these women and “wielded that power irresponsibly.” He took time away from working before making appearances at comedy clubs in 2018, and he released four stand-up specials on his website between 2020 and 2023. He announced a worldwide tour in 2025, with dates extending through 2026. What Did Louis C.k.'s Previous Netflix Deal Include?C.K. inked his first Netflix deal in February 2017, nine months before the New York Times report about his inappropriate sexual behaviors was published. The deal included two stand-up specials, one of which was released in April 2017, while Netflix axed the other following the allegations. “Louis’s unprofessional and inappropriate behavior with female colleagues has led us to decide not to produce a second stand up special, as had been planned,” a Netflix spokesperson said at the time, calling the allegations “disturbing.”Big Number$52 million. That’s how much Louis C.K. made between June 1, 2016 and June 1, 2017, according to Forbes estimates, placing him 34th on Forbes’ list of the highest-paid entertainers of 2017 and third among comedians. Much of that sum came from his previous deal with Netflix, which Forbes reported included eight-figure checks for two stand-up comedy specials, with additional earnings coming from the FX shows he co-created, “Baskets” and “Better Things.”Further ReadingNetflix writes down the cost of canceled Spacey and Louis C.K. projects (NBC News)
Netflix Announces New Louis C.K. Special After Losing Millions Over 'Me Too' Scandal
Louis C.K.’s new Netflix deal comes nine years after the streaming service cut ties with the comedian and lost millions shelving a stand-up special it planned to release.






