The partner of Norlan Guzman Fuentes, one of the two people killed in a shooting at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement field office in Dallas, Texas, claims no one from the U.S. government reached out to notify her of his death. “It’s like nothing has happened,” Berenice Prieto, Fuentes’s partner, told CBS News Texas on Tuesday. Prieto said that she learned of the news after contacting the El Salvadoran consulate herself two days after the attack, when Fuentes, 37, was fatally shot.Fuentes and Miguel Ángel García-Hernández, 32, both died from wounds sustained during a shooting at a Dallas ICE location last Wednesday, while a third person, Jose Andres Bordones-Molina, was critically wounded. Prieto said that she learned Fuentes had died in handcuffs and was disappointed with the way that authorities had treated his death. They made it seem like his life was “worthless,” like it had “no value,” she said.A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson contended that authorities didn’t have Prieto listed as a member of Fuentes’s immediate family, and put the onus on her to contact the agency.“ICE takes its responsibility to notify the next of kin very seriously. This loss of life resulting from a terrible attack on ICE law enforcement should never have occurred and is a direct result of the vile rhetoric and misinformation spreading about ICE’s mission,” a DHS spokesperson said in a statement. “Under the agency’s protocols, ICE contacted the Salvadoran Consulate, who provided ICE with a list of the decedent’s immediate family, that did not include a common law wife. Now that it has been brought to our attention, ICE is certainly willing to assist her with gaining information, as appropriate and would encourage her to reach out.”Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem, during a CNN interview the evening after the attack, struggled to answer questions about the victims of the shooting and whether their families had been contacted, noting only that the FBI was taking the lead on the investigation. In the days following the shooting, Noem and other Republicans have also appeared to focus far more on calling out rhetoric criticizing ICE agents than on mourning the deaths of immigrants in the attack. Prieto said Fuentes was “a very caring person,” who “loved her children as if they were his.” She added that he enjoyed fishing when he wasn’t working as a landscaper. Fuentes, an alleged undocumented immigrant from El Salvador, had lived in Dallas for five years and was detained by ICE this year. Prieto told CBS News that she and Fuentes had previously been in constant contact and ended their messages with the Spanish phrase “Te Amo,” which translates in English to “I love you.” On Tuesday, the family of García-Hernández, 32, announced that he had passed away from his wounds. Garcia-Hernandez, an alleged undocumented immigrant from Mexico, was recently detained by ICE as well. “My husband Miguel was a good man, a loving father, and the provider for our family,” his wife, Stephany Gauffeny, said in a statement. “We had just bought our first home together, and he worked hard every single day to make sure our children had what they needed.”
Partner Of Man Killed In ICE Facility Shooting Says Government Never Notified Her Of His Death
“It’s like nothing has happened,” Berenice Prieto said.









