The adult Southport survivors experienced 'vile abuse' on social media after Axel Rudakubana's attack on a dance class last summer, the public inquiry has heard.Rudakubana, 19, attacked the Taylor Swift-themed dance class on June 29, 2024, where he killed Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, Bebe King, six, and Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine, and injured eight other children.In an opening statement at Liverpool Town Hall, Pete Weatherby KC, representing dance teachers Leanne Lucas and Heidi Liddle, who ran the class, as well as Jonathan Hayes, who worked in a neighbouring office, said they showed 'remarkable bravery' in responding to the atrocity.He also told Liverpool Town Hall on Wednesday that Ms Lucas has suffered life-threatening injuries after being stabbed by Rudakubana. 'During the attack, she fell to the ground, to be pulled up by Heidi, and together they did their utmost to push as many children as possible away from the attacker and from the scene,' Mr Weatherby said.And despite her injuries, Ms Lucas insisted children were treated before her and was the first person to call 999, he added. He also said Ms Liddle 'almost certainly' saved the life of a child she barricaded herself and the youngster into the toilets.Mr Hayes, who also suffered serious injuries, distracted Rudakubana from attacking others for 'vital seconds' after confronting the attacker, although he was unable to overpower him. Chairman Sir Adrian Fulford is overseeing the inquiry at Liverpool Town Hall Bebe King, six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine, were all murdered in the atrocity on July 29, 2024 A court drawn image of Axel Rudakubana on December 18, 2024Mr Weatherby added: 'I have set out that summary in the way in which I have because each of the three have been subject to misinformed criticism, some of which, on social media, has been vile abuse.'None of them want the detail of their actions to obscure the loss and trauma suffered by so many children and their parents and families.'But it is important to this process, which starts with establishing a true record of what did and did not happen, and to all those affected, that the definitive account records what is materially correct.'He said the three adults joined others in 'urging the inquiry to rigorously look at what should and could have been done differently, and in particular what multi-agency interventions there were or should have been'.Yesterday, the inquiry heard that the parents of the Southport killer knew their teenage son was illegally ordering knives online prior to the attack. Fingerprints belonging to the killer's mother, Laetitia Muzayire, 53, were discovered on packaging of the eight-inch kitchen knife he used to murder three young girls last summer, the hearing was told. The 19-year-old's father, Alphonse, 49, also admitted to police that he previously took delivery of a 'bladed' item – later discovered to be a 22-inch-long machete – and hid it from his son. Nicholas Moss KC, counsel to the inquiry, said the couple told police they were too 'scared' to confront their son as they feared he would attack them or his older brother if confronted about the packages arriving at their home.There was no evidence found that the couple, who fled the genocide in their home country of Rwanda to claim asylum in the UK in 2002, shared their son's interest in violence. However, the barrister said a number of teachers, mental health workers and other professionals will tell the hearings they 'took issue' with the couple's actions as their son's behaviour deteriorated in the years prior to the July 29 atrocity.
Adult Southport survivors tell of 'vile abuse' they received
Rudakubana, 19, attacked the Taylor Swift- themed dance class on June 29, 2024, where he killed Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, Bebe King, six, and Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine.









