US president Donald Trump showcased the construction site of the $400m White House ballroom to the media on Tuesday (19 May). While talking to the reporters he revealed his “gift to the US” as the ballroom continues to attract criticism over the cost. “My term ends shortly after that. This is really for other presidents. This is not for me. This is my gift to the United States of America,” he said. Recalling the WHCD shooting last month, Trump boasted about the new ballroom’s safety. “If we had the White House Correspondents' Dinner here, would have been no problem,” he added.

Trump summoned the press pool for an unscheduled viewing of the ongoing ballroom construction, claiming the guest and security areas are critical spaces.

President Donald Trump repeatedly told reporters Tuesday that he has personally donated to the White House ballroom project.