COLOMBO: Three Finnish cave divers are joining efforts in the Maldives on Monday to try to find and recover the bodies of four Italian scuba divers who died in an accident in underwater caves, the DAN Europe divers’ network said. The team arrived on Sunday, DAN Europe said in a statement, after the incident in the Vaavu Atoll, where the Italian divers had been exploring caves at a depth of 50 meters (165 feet) on Thursday. The body of one of the Italian divers was recovered on Friday, the Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) said in a statement on Friday.

Rescue teams in the Maldives continued recovery operations after the country’s deadliest diving accident killed five Italian divers.

The divers became trapped in a sea cave at a depth of about 50 metres. A high-risk search for the bodies was suspended because of rough seas.