JERUSALEM: Israeli troops and tanks pushed deeper into Gaza City on Wednesday as more people fled the devastated area, and strikes cut off phone and internet services, making it harder for Palestinians to summon ambulances during the military’s new offensive. Meanwhile, the Palestinian death toll in the Israel-Hamas war surpassed 65,000, local health officials said. The Israeli military said air force and artillery units had struck the city more than 150 times in the last few days, ahead of ground troops moving in.

Israel began its ground offensive in Gaza City, the Israeli Defense Forces have confirmed. So far, 59 people weren killed and 386 wounded in the past 24 hours.

Thousands of Palestinians are fleeing Gaza City after Israel launched a major ground offensive aimed at occupying the city. Footage shared by The Associated Press on Tuesday (16…