Posted Sun 23 Aug 2026 at 8:39pmSun 23 Aug 2026 at 8:39pmMasoud Pezeshkian says he is trying to prevent the "many problems" brought by fresh economic sanctions.

(Iranian Presidency Handout/Anadolu)In short:Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian says his country faces "many problems" from fresh sanctions imposed by the United States.Mr Pezeshkian says US President Donald Trump is staging "a full-scale economic, military and security war" against Iran.What's next?On Monday, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent will reveal the full details of the economic measures to be imposed on Iran.Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian admits his country's citizens face "many problems", after the United States launched a new wave of sanctions seeking to further isolate its economy."I understand we have many problems in society right now. We are trying to prevent these as much as we can," Mr Pezeshkian said in a speech broadcast on state television on Sunday.His comments came after the US vowed last week to bring about the "collapse" of the Iranian regime through a newly announced sanctions campaign, nearly six months after the start of their war.In his response, Mr Pezeshkian said that, because of US President Donald Trump, Iran was "in a full-scale economic, military and security war".People at the Grand Bazaar in Tehran where prices are likely to rise due to sanctions.