Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney walked away from tariff negotiations with the United States Friday night. The tariffs went into effect at midnight Saturday morning. File Photo by Francis Chung/UPI | License Photo
Aug. 22 (UPI) -- A 50% tariff on Canadian goods went into effect early Saturday after talks between the two countries collapsed.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney walked away from the negotiations and said Canada would retaliate against the tariffs.
Negotiators had been in Washington, D.C., working with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer to try to come to an agreement. But just before the midnight deadline Friday, Carney released a statement on X announcing that there would be no deal.
"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S. However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians. As a result this evening I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada's negotiators to return to Ottawa," Carney said in the statement.










