The comedian has hit out at the long-running ITV show after Denise Welch confirmed she has quit to pursue her acting career09:15, 22 Aug 2026Alan Carr has condemned Loose Women for an apparent attempt to drum up public support after the long-running ITV show was nominated for a National Television Award.‌The beleaguered panel show will compete against ITV flagship This Morning, Good Morning Britain, James Martin's Saturday Morning and Scam Interceptors after being named in the category for Best Daytime at this year's ceremony, held at London's 02 Arena on September 8.‌But Carr, 50, has savaged producers for encouraging viewers to vote in their favour by peppering the show with daily reminders.‌Discussing the ploy with comedian Lee Peart in the latest instalment of their Bottoms Up podcast, he said: "Do you remember when Loose Women are nominated for an NTA, every day, every ad break? I mean, a bit desperate."I'm just saying, we all love Loose Women, but a bit desperate."‌Peart, who began his career as an assistant on the ITV show, added: "When I was their warm-up they asked me to go out before the show, to get people to vote, on the phones. I said, 'this isn't my job, I'm not doing it.'"The pair spoke after Loose Women regular Welch confirmed she is leaving to focus on her acting career, sparking a flood of support from fans. The 68-year-old has been a staple of the ITV panel for decades, but confirmed that she would be stepping down in a video shared on Instagram.Sharing the reason for her departure - which came days after Nadia Sawalha spoke about her own exit - she told followers that she wanted to focus on her acting career, describing it as her ‘first love and the thing she’s best at'.‌In a video posted on Instagram she said: "I’m leaving Loose Women after the best part of 25 years, off and on. I did leave for about seven years and went back in 2018. This show has been part of mine, and my family’s life, for nearly a quarter of a century."I have the most wonderful, wonderful memories and it’s just that acting has always been my first love and, I think, the thing I’m best at.‌"At the moment, I’m having the most wonderful opportunities coming my way and I’m grabbing them by the you-know-whats and running with it for this new chapter of my life.“And so I just wanted to say that in person to thank all of the people who have shared my stories with me. I’ve shared my life with you - the good, the bad and the ugly. I’m very marmite but I cherish all the comments, good or bad, that I’ve had over the years."She added: “I just hope you wish me well for this new exciting chapter in my life. I’ll miss everybody but I will remain friends with the whole gang because, despite what you might read, we are a happy band of campers. Lots of love, thanks for sticking with me.”‌Former EastEnders actress Nadia Sawalha previously claimed she has been removed from the line-up after voicing pro-Palestinian beliefs and planned plans to sue ITV over her perceived treatment.Nadia said she was being targeted for speaking out for Palestinian rights and was worried that police officers could come knocking on her door. She told The Mirror: “I accept that there is a huge risk I will never work in television again.”Colleagues have offered the former actress support, but she claimed many are too scared to do so publicly. She said two well-known faces at ITV reacted to an Instagram video she posted on her threat to sue the network.Article continues belowBut Nadia added: “I deleted it because I don’t want these people to be phased out. I feel sad that there is an atmosphere of fear that if they were to be seen to be supporting me, their career could be at risk. I don’t believe for one second the head of daytime wanted me off that show, I feel for her.”Like this story? For more of the latest showbiz news and gossip, follow Mirror Celebs on TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Threads.