All the action from round 25 of the NRL, as the Warriors face the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Accor Stadium.Next man up? Warriors face fresh injury crisis as another halfback fallsWith three weeks to go until the end of the NRL’s regular season, the Warriors’ “next man up” mentality will now be tested like never before.While Warriors coach Andrew Webster has had to deal with his share of injuries since he took charge of the club in 2023, never before has one position been as depleted as the No 7 jersey currently is after Saturday’s 40-6 victory over the Brisbane Broncos.Having only just returned from a first grade exile with a match-winning performance against the Penrith Panthers last week, halfback Luke Metcalf lasted just 20 minutes in Brisbane, before he pulled up clutching a hamstring after a shot at goal.Provided Metcalf is ruled out, he’ll join the pair of Tanah Boyd – out for the season with an anterior cruciate ligament injury – and Te Maire Martin, himself nursing a hamstring, on the injured list.For now, though, the coach and club wait with bated breath over Metcalf’s fitness.“Just a hamstring,” Webster said of Metcalf. “Obviously he was very emotional at the start, but he’s come good in that sense.Luke Metcalf limps off the field after suffering a hamstring injury against the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / Photosport“But he’s been a good teammate, at halftime he came and joined the team, sat down with them. We don’t know any more – he’s never done a hamstring kicking a goal, and he hasn’t done that hamstring for a long time.“Te Maire won’t be ready next week, that we know of. He might be, but we’ll worry about that next week.”That, then, leaves Webster with few options heading into the final three games of the regular season, if not the finals afterwards.Aside from the injured trio of Metcalf, Martin and Boyd, the Warriors’ reserve-grade halfback Jett Cleary has reportedly requested a release from the final year of his contract, to join the Penrith Panthers.As seen when Metcalf did the same to join the St George Illawarra Dragons next season, the Warriors will have to be cautious over how they manage Cleary. If he plays and picks up an injury of his own, any potential future contract would also be at risk.That effectively leaves one man standing for the position. While Chanel Harris-Tavita has found success as the Warriors’ starting five-eighth, playing an hour at halfback against the Broncos showed he’s more than up to the job.The Warriors celebrate Chanel Harris-Tavita's try against the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / PhotosportTaking on the playmaking responsibilities, Harris-Tavita had one try, a try assist, one linebreak and a game-high 522 kicking metres.He was initially thrust into the Warriors’ NRL plans as a hopeful halfback in the wake of Shaun Johnson leaving for the Cronulla Sharks in 2019.However, the 27-year-old has now more than found his home as the Warriors’ go-to at No 6. It’s no coincidence that the likes of Metcalf and Boyd in particular have enjoyed breakout seasons with Harris-Tavita as their halves partner.And now, if he is the man to fill in at halfback until one of his teammates – likely Martin – returns to full fitness, Harris-Tavita’s teammates have all the confidence that he’s the man for the job.“I just thought the way we went about our business tonight was really professional,” co-captain Mitch Barnett said. “I love how Chanel stood up tonight and really took control.“When you’ve got blokes doing that sort of thing, it makes your job a lot easier. [We were] really professional.”The Warriors will return to Sydney next weekend, where they’ll meet the South Sydney Rabbitohs on Saturday night, before closing out the regular season with back-to-back home games against the Newcastle Knights and the Manly Sea Eagles.
Warriors score in opening minutes, take lead over Rabbitohs
All the action from round 25 of the NRL, from Accor Stadium.







