South African Zolani Tete, left, fights with Japan's Teiru Kinoshita during their IBF super-flyweight title match in Kobe on July 18, 2014

The Minister of Sports, Art and Culture Gayton McKenzie expressed his condolences to world boxing champion Zolani "Last Born" Tete's family and the people of Mdantsane, while appealing to the public to assist police with information that could help identify those responsible.

Zolani "Last Born" Tete was shot and killed by two masked gunmen on Friday evening at his own home, at the age of 38.

Police spokeswoman Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said police were investigating a case of murder and attempted murder after the shooting at NU17 at about 6.30pm.

She said the 38-year-old had been arriving at his house when two armed men wearing balaclavas got out of a vehicle and opened fire on him and a 27-year-old woman in the car with him.