Updated August 22, 2026 — 4:22pm,first published 1:01pmA couple celebrating their eighth wedding anniversary paid $2.2 million, $50,000 less than the reserve, for a newly built terrace in Enmore at auction on Saturday.About 25 people gathered in the living area at the rear of the three-bedroom, two-bathroom home at 30 Francis Street as auctioneer James Keenan took bids from the two registered bidders.Bidding opened at $2 million, followed by bids of $50,000 and $25,000. When activity stalled at $2,175,000, the lead bidders were invited to make a further offer of $2.2 million. After a few minutes’ negotiation, they did so and Keenan declared the property on the market.No further bids were offered and the property sold. The property had a guide of $2.2 million and a reserve of $2.25 million.There is no legal requirement for a vendor’s reserve to be in line with their property’s price guide.The turnkey nature of the property, which included a fully equipped kitchen with wine fridge, was a strong selling point.Peter RaeThe successful couple, who have a young daughter, said that as a family, they all had something unexpected in common with their new address.“All our middle names are Francis,” he said.The home was one of three recently completed terraces in a row and the only one with a single-car garage. Records show the terrace next door, which had four bedrooms but no off-street parking, sold last month for $2,235,000.The new owners were upsizing from a two-bedroom home in Marrickville and liked that the property they had bought was a new build. The underbidders were a young couple from the inner south. The vendors were small-scale developers.Ray White Erskineville agent Ercan Ersan said the turnout for the auction indicated “a bit more energy” was returning to the market.“This is the biggest crowd I have had for a long time,” he said. “There is a bit more confidence from buyers – they are seeing value now.”The turnkey nature of the property also turned buyers’ heads, he said.“It is so expensive to renovate now. A lot of people are in two-bedroom houses [they want to renovate] but then they get the [building quotes] and they see it is cheaper to sell and buy something that’s finished.”Auctioneer James Keenan raises the hammer as 30 Francis Street sells for $2.2 million, $50,000 below reserve.Peter RaeThe property was one of 479 scheduled to go to auction in Sydney this week.In Naremburn, a group of seven vendors sold a property they jointly owned for $2.7 million, $200,000 less than its reserve, on Saturday.Five of the vendors have been living in the five-bedroom property at 22 Park Road, with two others living in Dubbo and Japan, respectively. All were present, in person or on the phone, for the auction.Three parties registered to bid for the two-storey, five-bedroom home, with two taking part.Bidding opened at $2.5 million and rose in increments of $50,000 and $25,000 before a series of $10,000 bids. The property had a guide of $2.75 million and a reserve of $2.9 million.Both the successful bidders and the underbidders were families planning to renovate to make the place suitable for their multi-generational needs.Forsyth Real Estate sales agent Joe Campisi said that it was challenging to manage so many vendors, especially when the bidding stalled.“I was surprised they all agreed to the same price,” he said. “I told them during the week that this would happen [with the lower bid] and then it actually happened, which helped them accept the decision.”The period home in Naremburn sits on a 607-square-metre corner block. The new owners plan to renovate to accommodate three generations of their family.DomainCampisi said that, in general, vendors are now more aligned with buyer expectations.“Owners are becoming more aware of what the market is doing,” he said, “and they are more open to accepting the bid on the day rather than waiting to see what will happen afterwards.”In Kensington, a young family were the only bidders to register for a three-bedroom apartment, paying $30,000 less than the reserve.Cooley auctioneer Briannan Davis knocked back their bid of $1.1 million to buy 7/22 Villiers Street before entering a bid of $1.25 million on behalf of the vendor.After 40 minutes of negotiating, the bidders raised their offer to $1.29 million and the property sold under auction conditions. It had a guide of $1.2 million and a reserve of $1.32 million.The vendors are moving out of the area and want to upsize.Belle Property Bondi Junction sales agent Edward Brown described market conditions at present as “normal”.“We don’t have that manic flow of people with FOMO. They are a lot more considered in their buying, but they are still looking for good quality,” he said.Property listingsFrom our partners
Local couple buys upsizer inner west terrace for $50,000 below reserve
A local couple was attracted by high-quality finishes and off-street parking. They beat out one other bidder at Saturday’s auction to win the keys for $2.2 million.








