By

Updated on: August 21, 2026 / 2:37 PM EDT

/ CBS News

Add CBS News on Google

Washington — The Pentagon has given separation notices to both the publisher and the editor-in-chief of Stars and Stripes, the U.S. military news outlet partly funded by American taxpayers, according to people familiar with the matter.The notices, delivered Friday, gave Publisher Max Lederer and Editor-in-Chief Erik Slavin five days to appeal their dismissals. The cause cited was insubordination, one of the people familiar with the matter said. The person did not elaborate on the details of the alleged insubordination.A Defense Department spokesman declined to comment when contacted Friday afternoon by CBS News. Lederer has served as the outlet's publisher for 19 years and told colleagues this week that he would retire on Sept. 30, citing fundamental differences with the Trump administration. Slavin has spoken publicly, including to CBS News, about disagreements with Pentagon leaders. CBS News reported on Wednesday that Pentagon officials had discussed dismissing Lederer before his scheduled retirement.In a note to staff earlier this week that was obtained by CBS News, Lederer wrote: "It has become clear that my philosophy of leadership, and my understanding of the value and mission of Stars and Stripes, differ in fundamental ways from the direction the leadership of the Department of Defense has for the organization."