The chairman of the Oireachtas media committee, Alan Kelly, has told TikTok he was “deeply disappointed” by its “refusal to engage” and he urged it to reconsider an invitation to appear for a public session next month.The Labour TD wrote to its head of public affairs, Susan Moss, again on Friday after the company declined an invitation issued after the fatal car crash on the M9 in which five teenagers were killed and three sisters and a boy were taken to hospital last Sunday.TikTok had been invited by Kelly following criticism of social media firms for hosting video footage of reckless driving, including those driving the wrong way on motorways.Declining the invitation, Moss told Kelly that while it referred to the general topic of online content promoting criminal activity, statements from Kelly this week suggested the “intention of the invitation appears to be specifically to address the events of August 16th”, a reference to the fatal motorway crash near Moone, Co Kildare.Moss said she believed it would not be possible to appear before the committee until investigations and examinations by gardaí and Coimisiún na Meán were completed “and we have had the opportunity to assess the outcome”.She said TikTok also did “not consider it appropriate to be the sole representative of the video-sharing industry”.Responding on Friday, Kelly told Moss he was “deeply disappointed” by her response and TikTok’s “refusal to engage”.Urging her to reconsider the invitation, Kelly reiterated the committee was seeking to understand TikTok’s approach to limit and remove content that “glorifies irresponsible and illegal activity and, in particular, content that potentially places the public in danger”.“The horrific incidents that have occurred on our roads in recent weeks have had a devastating impact on those killed and injured, their families and the emergency services who responded to the scene,” he said in correspondence seen by The Irish Times.“That devastation remains the principal issue. The events have also, however, highlighted serious questions about the circulation of social media content which promotes dangerous and illegal behaviour on our roads.”While recent events had “provided the background and context” for the invitation, Kelly said the committee “understands its role and will not interfere with any ongoing Garda or regulatory investigations or examinations”.He said An Garda Síochána had previously stated an organisation’s appearance before an Oireachtas committee was “entirely a matter for the Oireachtas and the organisation”.“Coimisiún na Meán has also confirmed to the committee that it has no issue with TikTok being invited before the committee,” he said.He told Moss that the committee “again invites you” to the meeting scheduled for September 23rd.Kelly said representatives from X, Google and Meta had also been invited to appear before the committee alongside officials from the Department of Communications and from Coimisiún na Meán.