Friday, August 21st 2026 - 08:59 UTC

Deputy chief prosecutor for San Isidro Patricio Ferrari said on Thursday that the delivery of medical records belonging to Diego Armando Maradona's father, rather than the footballer's own, may constitute a criminal offence, and ruled out that the discovery will halt the trial over the star's death in November 2020.

“They deceived us, they committed a crime and now they want to bring down a trial just as it is ending,” he told Criminal Court No. 7 of San Isidro. “I regret to tell them it was of no use. They are not going to bring the trial down.” He argued this was “a continuing offence” that began on January 5, 2021, when the private health provider Swiss Medical sent the documentation to prosecutors.

The court, made up of judges Alberto Gaig, Pablo Rolón and Alberto Ortolani, granted the prosecution's request and ordered searches of Swiss Medical's offices and two facilities linked to the company: the Olivos Clinic, where the footballer was treated, and the Los Arcos Sanatorium, where his father had been admitted.

The irregularity emerged on Tuesday, when lawyers for Nancy Forlini, Swiss Medical's medical coordinator and one of the defendants, noted that the medical panel examining the circumstances of the death had reviewed tests belonging to the player's father, who died in June 2015 and shared his name. One analysis is dated May 3, 2015, when Maradona was coaching a team in Dubai. The documentation was labelled under Diego Armando Maradona's name but carried his father's membership and medical record numbers.