Prince Harry and his family's access to taxpayer-funded security is again in the spotlight after their plans to move back to the United Kingdom were revealed this week.The issue has been a source of tension between the Duke of Sussex, Buckingham Palace and British authorities for several years.Prince Harry, his wife Meghan and their two children are expected to relocate to England from the United States, where they have lived since 2020, before the end of this month.It remains unclear whether a stalemate over their safety has been resolved.On Thursday, local time, UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the Sussexes' security arrangements were a "private matter"."It's a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making," he said.Prince Harry has previously styled the issue as a deal-breaker, and the family's decision to return to England came as a surprise.Last year the duke told the BBC he "can't see a world" in which he would bring his family to the UK, due to safety concerns.The Sussexes were stripped of their publicly funded protection around the time they ceased to be working royals in early 2020.Since then, their eligibility for it during rare visits to the UK were assessed on a case-by-case basis by an independent committee comprising public servants, police and members of the royal household.The duke launched an unsuccessful legal challenge over their decision to revoke his family's protection.His request for royal protection during a visit to the UK last month was rejected.Prince Harry and Meghan have been paying a private security team in California and it is not clear whether they will join the royals when they relocate to Britain."I think what we can anticipate is that a threshold of security must have been reached that is satisfactory for Harry and Meghan and the children," royal commentator Afua Hagan told the ABC."If that hadn't been reached this would not be happening. We don't know what the security arrangements are, we don't know where they're going to live, apart from we know there'll be a private residence outside of London."Local media has reported the royal couple have enrolled their children Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, in UK schools.Relationship with royal family remains strainedIt is not clear why they have decided to return to England, although it has been suggested it could be to spend more time with King Charles III who was diagnosed with cancer in 2024.Prince Harry's relationship with his family has been strained for several years.He and his wife gave an interview to Oprah Winfrey in 2021 in which they criticised the royal family and spoke about racism in the institution.The duke's 2023 autobiography, which included claims of a physical altercation with his brother in 2019, is also believed to have burned several bridges.Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has not travelled to the UK with her husband since Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in 2022. It's understood that the duke and his brother, Prince William, have not spoken since then.Last year, Prince Harry and the king had a brief meeting at Clarence House which lasted less than an hour. There are conflicting accounts of how that went.King Charles III is understood to be happy about the prospect of spending more time with his son's family. (Reuters: Carl Court)It is understood King Charles III was made aware of the Sussexes' plans on Sunday, local time, and that he welcomed the opportunity to spend more time with them.The ABC understands there are no plans for Prince Harry and Meghan to return to their roles as working royals.Adding another complexion to the duke and his family's move is his strained relationship with the British press which he accuses of racism and privacy breaches.He and his wife have launched multiple legal cases against newspaper publishers in the country.They have also kept their children's lives and faces largely away from cameras in Los Angeles, something that appears unlikely to happen when they return to the UK.