August 20, 2026Share to FacebookShare to XArticle printing is available to subscribers onlyPrint in a simple, ad-free formatSubscribeComments: Zen reading is available to subscribers onlyAd-free and in a comfortable reading formatSubscribeAugust 20, 2026UpdatesNetanyahu: Israel has not approved entry of international force into GazaPrime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Thursday that Israel's political leadership has not approved the entry of the International Stabilization Force into the Gaza Strip, pushing back against reports as the United States moves ahead with funding for the force."Contrary to reports, the political leadership has not approved the entry of the international force into the Gaza Strip," Netanyahu's office said."Israel has made clear that there will be no reconstruction whatsoever in the Gaza Strip before Hamas is fully disarmed."Read the full articleIsrael rejects U.K. condemnation of E1 settlement project, vows to 'defend its rights'Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar rejected the British condemnation of Israel's settlement construction project in the E1 area of the West Bank, saying London has "formally recognized" Israel's right to control the area."More than a century ago, the Balfour Declaration formally recognized the historic right of the Jewish people to re-establish their national home in the Land of Israel – including in the area in question," Sa'ar wrote, adding that it is "absurd for Britain to lecture the Jewish people."Sa'ar called the British condemnation "deeply unfortunate," adding that Israel "will not be a passive victim of this policy" but rather "defend its rights, its interests and its people."Earlier on Thursday, U.K. Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband called the Israeli construction tender in E1 an "unacceptable and destructive act" that risks separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem.Read the full articlePalestinians report Israeli settler arson attack in southern West BankIsraeli settlers set fire to a Palestinian family's house in the southern West Bank's Masafer Yatta region, according to local reports.Firefighters put out a fire at a Palestinian house in the southern West Bank in the aftermath of what locals say was a settler arson attack, Thursday.Firefighters put out a fire at a Palestinian house in the southern West Bank in the aftermath of what locals say was a settler arson attack, Thursday.A resident of the house reportedly said the settlers "came while we were sleeping." According to her, the assailants entered through the house's window and told the woman and her husband to leave for the nearby village of Susya."They threw what they had in their hands. They threw it at the wardrobes, and they caught fire immediately. We couldn't put it out."The Israel Police said the fire was the result of a short circuit, denying reports of arson and adding that their investigation is ongoing.Iran warns it will use 'more destructive weapons' if new war breaks outBrig. Gen. Hossein Mohebbi, the spokesperson of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, said Tehran will use more destructive weapons if hostilities resume in the region."The destructive power of the warheads used in the IRGC's missiles is far greater than those used in previous wars," Mohebbi said. "If war begins, our weapons will be completely different from those used in the past in every respect."Iran's Araghchi says Trump's economic threats 'will only bring further defeat'Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during a news conference with his Iraqi counterpart Fouad Hussein after their meeting at the foreign ministry in Baghdad, Iraq, in June. Credit: Hadi Mizban/APIranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks during a news conference with his Iraqi counterpart Fouad Hussein after their meeting at the foreign ministry in Baghdad, Iraq, in June. Credit: Hadi Mizban/APIranian Foreign ‌Minister Abbas Araghchi said U.S. President Donald Trump's threat of an "economic D-Day" against Iran "will only bring further defeat" to Washington."The so-called 'Economic D-Day' is a diversion from America's own crisis: unprecedented debt & surging interest costs," Araghchi wrote on X. According to the Iranian foreign minister, "Doubling down on failed policies will only bring further defeat and enmity of Iranians."Araghchi added that U.S. "economic terrorism" threatens the global economy.Israel Katz warns Turkey's Erdoğan against 'dangerous adventures' in SyriaDefense Minister Israel Katz warned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan against deploying Turkish forces in Syria, saying Israel is willing to defend itself.Defense Minister Israel Katz, in August. Credit: Itay Cohen Defense Minister Israel Katz, in August. Credit: Itay Cohen Erdoğan "is dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria," Katz wrote on X, adding that "Israel will not allow any entity to threaten its security."Katz added that the Turkish head of state should "continue delivering empty, delusional speeches against Israel in the Turkish parliament rather than testing Israel's resolve to defend itself."On Tuesday, Israeli aircraft struck Syria's Abu al-Duhur air base after a Turkish delegation visited the military airfield. Israel said Syria was close to violating the security status quo by permitting Turkish forces to be stationed at the base.Jack Khoury and Jonathan Lis contributed to this report.Read the full articleIsrael strikes, shells southern Lebanon, Al Mayadeen reportsIsraeli aircraft struck the area of Kfar Roummane, near the strategic Ali al-Taher Ridge in southern Lebanon, the country's Al Mayadeen channel reported.Ali al-Taher Ridge in southern Lebanon and the boundary of the IDF-occupied buffer zone.Ali al-Taher Ridge in southern Lebanon and the boundary of the IDF-occupied buffer zone.According to the channel, which is affiliated with Hezbollah, shelling was also reported in the area.Syria says no Turkish military build-up planned at airbase struck by IsraelSyrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said he made clear to Israel there were no plans to establish a Turkish military base at Abu al-Duhur airbase, which Israel struck on Tuesday, saying the site was being rehabilitated for use by the Syrian Air Force.Al-Shaibani said Turkish military officers had visited the base as part of training and broader military cooperation. He denied any Turkish military build-up, saying the facility was largely empty and not yet operational."There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site," Al-Shaibani said in an interview with Axios on Wednesday.Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Wednesday that Israel warned Syria ahead of the strike not to allow a Turkish presence at the base."Our message was very clear. Don't. I guess they didn't quite understand the message," Netanyahu added.Al-Shaibani said Israel had no legitimate justification for the bombing. Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on de-escalation, he said. The two sides had made significant progress toward a security agreement during a year of U.S.-mediated talks, but Israel later backed away from commitments and the agreement was not implemented, he added.Al-Shaibani said any future deal must address the security concerns of both sides and respect Syrian sovereignty, warning that continued Israeli military operations would increase regional instability.World Central Kitchen condemns IDF decision not to probe deadly Gaza strike that killed seven aid workersThe global humanitarian organization World Central Kitchen issued a condemnation of the IDF's decision not to open a criminal investigation into the April 2024 strike in Deir al‑Balah, in which seven of its employees were killed.In a statement released by the organization, it said: "We strongly condemn the Israeli military prosecutor's account of the deaths of our seven colleagues on April 1, 2024. And we fundamentally disagree with their decision about criminal investigations into the IDF airstrikes that killed our team."The organization added that "There has never been any excuse or justification for the attacks, and there is nothing in this account that does so. The decision is inconsistent with the full truth and deeply offensive."According to the statement, at the time of the lethal attacks, "the IDF knew that our team in Gaza was unarmed and posing a threat to nobody. It had full visual clarity on our clearly marked humanitarian vehicles during the extended, multiple airstrikes. It knew our team's movements, identities and activities in advance."The organization said that the military investigation "conflates different timelines and events, muddies the story and shifts the blame for the IDF's illegal conduct."We strongly condemn the Israeli military prosecutor’s account of the deaths of our seven colleagues on April 1, 2024. And we fundamentally disagree with their decision about criminal investigations into the IDF airstrikes that killed our team.