North Korea has dismissed the significance of the United States’ decision to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the move does not alter Pyongyang’s view that the drills are provocative. The statement came as US President Donald Trump said he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year, while Kim’s powerful sister cast doubt on claims that the two leaders are currently communicating.
Kim Yo Jong said North Korea had no particular interest in the reduction of the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, which Washington and Seoul agreed to shorten at the US request.
"The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won’t change even though their duration and size were reduced," she said in a statement carried by North Korean state media.
Kim Yo Jong also pointed to other joint military activities conducted by the United States and South Korea earlier this year, as well as Seoul’s plans to introduce nuclear-powered submarines. North Korea has long condemned the exercises as preparations for an invasion.
The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was originally scheduled to continue until August 27, but the South Korean military said it would now end on Friday. Some joint field-training activities will also be reduced. The main exercise is largely a computer-simulated command-post drill designed to strengthen the allies’ ability to respond to a potential North Korean attack.










