Live Updates August 19, 2026Share to FacebookShare to XArticle printing is available to subscribers onlyPrint in a simple, ad-free formatSubscribeComments: Zen reading is available to subscribers onlyAd-free and in a comfortable reading formatSubscribeAugust 19, 2026UpdatesU.K. condemns 'unacceptable and destructive' Israeli E1 settlement tender, summons envoyThe Israeli Government’s launch of tenders for the E1 settlement project is unacceptable and destructive. Britain will not stand back and accept the destruction of the two state solution. My statement:The U.K. has strongly condemned the Israeli government's publication of a tender for the E1 settlement project and summoned the Israeli chargé d'affaires in protest.U.K. Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband called the tender an "unacceptable and destructive act" that risks separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem. Miliband directly urged Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar to halt the plans, retract the tender and cease all settlement expansion."E1 would cut across the heart of Palestine and risks separating the West Bank from East Jerusalem, which would endanger the viability of a two-state solution," Miliband wrote. "The U.K. has been clear privately and publicly in our opposition to E1 and our support for a two-state solution as the only way to ensure long-term security and peace for both Palestinians and Israelis. All settlements damage that prospect and are a flagrant breach of international law."The U.K. maintains that the settlements are a flagrant breach of international law and threaten the viability of a two-state solution."In the coming weeks we will set out a comprehensive set of measures to respond to Israeli government policies, protect the viability of the Palestinian state, target sanctions at those who participate in illegal settlement expansion and support a just and lasting peace for Israelis and Palestinians," Miliband said.Australia summons Israeli ambassador over Gaza aid worker deathAustralian World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom, who was among the WCK employees, including foreigners, killed in an Israeli airstrike, pictured here in this screengrab from a video released March 25, 2024. Credit: World Central Kitchen/ REUTERSAustralian World Central Kitchen (WCK) aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom, who was among the WCK employees, including foreigners, killed in an Israeli airstrike, pictured here in this screengrab from a video released March 25, 2024. Credit: World Central Kitchen/ REUTERSAustralia on Thursday summoned Israel's ambassador over the Israeli military's decision not to pursue criminal proceedings in connection with the death of an Australian aid worker in a 2024 airstrike in Gaza.The Israeli military said on Wednesday it had found no basis to open criminal investigations into the killings of seven aid workers with the World Central Kitchen charity, including Australian Zomi Frankcom."This decision falls far short of the accountability we expect," Foreign Minister Penny Wong said in a statement, adding Australia was "outraged" by the Israeli government's decision.4 hours agoU.S. Senator Van Hollen says 'true accountability' needed for 'war crimes' after IDF opens criminal probesU.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen, a progressive Democrat, told Haaretz the IDF must be held accountable for nearly 500 war crimes he said were identified by the U.S. government.U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) speaks during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing on U.S. President Donald Trump's supplemental funding request for the Department of Defense, in Washington, July. Credit: Eric Lee/ REUTERSU.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) speaks during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing on U.S. President Donald Trump's supplemental funding request for the Department of Defense, in Washington, July. Credit: Eric Lee/ REUTERSResponding to the IDF announcement earlier on Wednesday that it would open criminal probes into the killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab in Gaza, alongside a number of other high-profile cases from the war, Van Hollen told Haaretz: "Most of the world already knows that the IDF has committed war crimes in these case and many others.""What remains is the question of accountability," he said, adding that "true justice or accountability" may never be seen, given the Israeli government's "poor track record."After backlash over strikes in Syria, Netanyahu says Israel warned Turkey against military presence in countryPrime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel warned Turkey that it will not tolerate Turkish military consolidation in Syria, which he said threatens Israel.His remarks came after Israeli strikes on a Syrian air base, shortly after a Turkish delegation reportedly visited the site, sparked backlash from the United States.לא נסבול התבססות צבאית טורקית בסוריה שמאיימת על ישראל.
Live updates • U.K. condemns 'unacceptable and destructive' Israeli E1 settlement tender
U.K. condemns 'unacceptable and destructive' Israeli E1 settlement tender, summons envoy. Australia summons Israeli ambassador over Gaza aid worker death. Palestinian Red Crescent says IDF fire wounds two during army raid on home in West Bank's Qusra









