JJERUSALEM: Israel’s army chief said Wednesday during a visit to an Israeli-occupied security zone in southern Syria that the military would not allow threats to “establish themselves” on the border.

“We are monitoring the changes on the Syrian front. We will not allow hostile forces to establish themselves on our borders, and we will know how to use our operational capabilities precisely where and when needed,” Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir told troops.

Israeli forces have been stationed in a security zone in southern Syria since the fall of the Assad regime in December 2024, occupying what was previously a buffer zone patrolled by the United Nations that had separated Israeli and Syrian forces in the Israeli-occupied Golan since 1974.

The top general said the army can not afford to let down its guard on any of Israel’s active war fronts, including Syria.

“We are still in a multi-front war, alert and operating in all arenas — escalation can develop in any one of them, and we must remain in constant readiness.”